All this for $9.99

by Jennifer on March 12, 2008

Stuff White People Like

Has anyone heard about or visited this blog: Stuff White People Like? NPR interviewed its author a couple of weeks ago, and I just got around to checking it out. From reading the comments, the audience reaction seems mixed. There are those who think it’s pretty darn funny (uh, me), and others who think the premise is racist. I don’t know if I can get on that bandwagon. That’s a pretty tough sell, isn’t it?

I’ve just started reading some of the posts, but so far I’m nodding my head in recognition and laughing. It seems to me we should be laughing at ourselves, and I invite the rest of the world to join in. I need to look further, but I think a better title might be Stuff American White People Like. Although, since he seems to be aiming his sights on that target anyway, it might be redundant.

Who knows, maybe I need some enlightenment. I’ll go in search of it just as soon as I stop laughing at myself. I hope you’ll all chime in if you get a chance to take a look.

__________________________________

What I’m listening to these days
mc_jointheparade.jpgThis has been out since October, but I just downloaded it a few days ago. I love it. I’ve enjoyed Marc Cohn’s music since as far back as Walking in Memphis. He’s a great songwriter, and this album shows a different kind of writing. I’m terrible at reviewing books or music, so I won’t try. Just go to iTunes and listen. Go, go download. (And if you click on the album image, or here, it takes you to his official site. It’s good, moody music.)

A gentle request

If you haven’t yet, would you mind taking a moment to subscribe to my RSS feed? On my end, I’ve been making progress on getting everyone accounted for in my Google Reader, and before long I’ll have the hang of it. The Subscribe link is in the sidebar just under the ads. Thank you, everyone!

walt-whitman.jpgAnd now, a little something for your efforts

This is one of my favorite poems from Walt Whitman. I think he knew a thing or two about the human condition. He certainly makes me believe he did.

Long enough have you dream’d contemptible dreams,
Now I wash the gum from your eyes,
You must habit yourself to the dazzle of the light and of every
moment of your life

Long have you timidly waded holding a plank by the shore,
Now I will you to be a bold swimmer,
To jump off in the midst of the sea, rise again, nod to me, shout,
and laughingly dash with your hair.
–Walt Whitman

cce March 12, 2008 at 3:36 am

I just found the ‘white people’ website last week and absolutely love it. And, no, I don’t think it’s racist. You’re right on when pointing out that if we can all poke fun at ourselves then it’s written in the right vein.

Love the Whitman and I’ll check out the Cohn. Thanks.

Slow Panic March 12, 2008 at 5:18 am

When LM5 cries he asks me to wipe the wax out of his eyes. if only in doing so I could take him where Walt is trying to take us….

suburbancorrespondent March 12, 2008 at 5:37 am

You know what I’m thinking? I’m thinking the blog is misnamed. It should be called, “What Rich People Like.” The differences he describes don’t fall along color lines so much as economic ones. I also find myself alienated and puzzled by much of the behavior he describes, and I’m white. It’s a working class versus white-collar class thing more than a black/white thing.

we_be_toys March 12, 2008 at 6:19 am

Folks definitely need to lighten up! I’ll have to go check it out.
Walt Whitman is one of my favorite poets! I am biased towards the Transcendentalists, though! His beautiful spare lines are such a contrast to the English verbosity of the same time – never could wrap my head around the English Romantics – they always seemed so flighty and fussy. Give me Walt any time!

Meg March 12, 2008 at 6:24 am

Just checked the “white people” blog…interesting…I like a lot of those things and I am a Heinz 57 mixture of German, Spanish, Italian, French and Mexican…guess I better quit reading it or start my own, huh?

I tried to subscribe via your RSS feed and couldn’t…what gives? I can sub to the comments only…

Hugs,
Meg

Josephine Damian March 12, 2008 at 6:28 am

Hi,

Love your banner. Very pretty. Had no idea Mark Cohen was back to making music after being shot a few years back. I’ll have to check out the CD.

Really enjoyed the Whitman poem and have copied it. Will hang it on my fridge.

Thanks for posting it.

Josie

Jenn @ Juggling Life March 12, 2008 at 6:57 am

People that don’t get satire need to look into a surgical procedure for having a sense of humor implanted. It’s too funny!

Amanda March 12, 2008 at 7:29 am

I came across that website a few weeks ago. Its sooooo funny! I’m not white and I could really agree with so many of the points that the author makes.

Kelley March 12, 2008 at 8:04 am

I puffy heart Stuff White People Like… Of all things, I learned about it from the AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution). Furiousball also just turned me on to Stuff White Trash people like – also fantastically funny.

Keep persevering with Google Reader, and know that you’re probably still 8 giant steps ahead of me. 🙂

Crazycath March 12, 2008 at 9:14 am

That blog – stuff white people like – LMAO. So funny because it is so true! I DO some of that! Noooooo!

flutter March 12, 2008 at 9:39 am

I think it’s funny too, but it is, inherently racist. If you took the white aspect out and told people “Hey there’s a blog that lists everything people like based on their color!” people woulc be screaming racist from the mountain tops.

I, on the other hand, don’t tend to get my panties in a wad over such things.

Melissa March 12, 2008 at 10:38 am

I think the white people blog is funny in a lot of ways–especially when I recall teaching a class on culture and discovering with my students that while we celebrate many cultural and racial differences, we don’t clearly define “white culture.” Wish he’d have been blogging back then…

Lisa March 12, 2008 at 10:39 am

Not sure what to think of the white people blog but I do have that metal water bottle (and so do my kids!).
I’ll check out the artist–I always want new music.
Do I just hit entries to subscribe–I am still a bit clueless about the fantastic world of blogging 😉

Jennifer March 12, 2008 at 10:41 am

Lisa–Yes, it should work that way. I’m told it can be fickle, but let me know if it doesn’t work.

You can also subscribe by email (there’s an option for that just below the other). Thanks!

HRH March 12, 2008 at 11:56 am

I think the $9.99 was a bargain. I am going to check out the white people thing.

HRH March 12, 2008 at 12:12 pm

I’m back. That is way hilarious. If there was no truth to it, it wouldn’t be funny. I linked on my funny list to the expensive kitchen gadgets. Blog-Stedman heard on the radio that blogging was on the list, but I couldn’t find it on their blog. If you come across that one, I would like to read it. I think my favorite parts are the tips for white people etiquette…”if you know a white person, it would be appropriate to…” OMG. Thanks for the link.

Daryl E March 12, 2008 at 12:53 pm

I like Cohn did you know, of course you did, that he is married to Elizabeth Vargas of ABC News?

And the subscribe link doesnt like me .. its not ‘live’

Would you mind if I put a link on my blog to your blog?

Angela March 12, 2008 at 3:11 pm

I’ve had SWPL in my reader for quite some time, but I haven’t been brave enough to own up to that because I don’t have the energy to defend it. It’s hilarious, and I agree that if it weren’t true, I wouldn’t laugh. I am all for people taking themselves a bit less seriously.

molly March 12, 2008 at 5:29 pm

I love Stuff White People Like too. It’s always good for a laugh.

Deb March 12, 2008 at 5:52 pm

For some reason I’m also having a prob subscribing to RSS. I’ll try again later.

Also, great choices on Marc and Walt. I think I’ll like it here! 🙂

Betsy Bird March 12, 2008 at 6:40 pm

I think the SWPL blog is a hoot, although I agree that an even better name would be Stuff Rich White People Like. My favorite is the one about moving to Canada, with the note that white Canadians say they’re moving to Europe and white Europeans can’t say they’re moving anywhere!

a. beaverhausen March 12, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Minorities have been the butt of racist jokes for decades. It’s time for us to take our lumps.

Kellan March 12, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I love that site – I couldn’t agree more with most of what I’ve read – too funny – we do love our shorts!!

Have a good Thursday, Jennifer – see you soon. Kellan

andi March 12, 2008 at 8:31 pm

I found the white people blog a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I’m twisted (or just difficult to offend) but I thought it was hysterical.

Mrs. G. March 12, 2008 at 11:04 pm

I love me some Walt Whitman!

Tootsie Farklepants March 12, 2008 at 11:43 pm

Yeah. That site is just funny!

Brenda March 13, 2008 at 8:38 am

I read the blog and laughed. Is it racist? Isn’t making a big deal out of things being racist BEING racist? To me the blog is not racist. It’s funny. (I actually book-marked it which is rare.) It’s largely true. It’s making fun of white people! So what!

(I’m “white” by the way, but who cares? Why does anyone care?)

I had a conversation just this morning with a good Hispanic friend of mine. She’s from Mexico, but has lived in the U.S. for a long time and is a citizen. She’s the principal at my daughter’s school. We were talking about bi-lingual schools, and how where we live, they are NOT bi-lingual, but Spanish, and how wrong that is. Kids don’t need it. Throw them in an English school, and they’ll be getting by at the end of a week. Doing pretty well at the end of a month. And fluent at the end of a year.

My opinion is that by making Spanish, and even bi-lingual schools (though I hope my daughter learns Spanish), society perpetuates racism by separating the people who are “different.” I’m not at all opposed to these people preserving their culture and their language. (In fact, I think it’s a crime when they lose their language.) But that can be done at home. Don’t separate them. Don’t isolate them. Let them be part of “the rest of us.” Giving what some call “special treatment” to minorities totally backfires and keeps them further out of the population. Of course, this is only my opinion, but why separate them?

Sorry for that tangent, but my point was something to the effect of that people shouldn’t get so uptight about what is racist and what isn’t. They should just see people as people–not label them as something different–and LAUGH when something is funny!

JCK March 13, 2008 at 3:42 pm

Great Walt Whitman poem!

That site sounds SO funny. I’ll be checking it out.