A day in Sedona

by Jennifer on March 18, 2008

sedona-pb-2.jpgI spent yesterday in Sedona, arguably one of the most beautiful places in the country. If you’ve been there, you know.

Since Boy and Girl were in spring break camp (like summer day camp, but for just a week), it was the perfect opportunity to drive up to Sedona with my good friend Ms. W. From home, the drive takes about 2 hours and 15 minutes, and offers gorgeous scenery most of the way.

Just wait until you get there, though. The views are almost overwhelming–the red rock, the sweeping views, the sculpted formations. However this all came to be, it’s magnificent. It’s always hard to keep my eyes on the road when driving into town, but that happens to a lot of drivers. (I’ve seen them weave across the yellow line as they crane their necks to get a look at Bell Rock.)

tlaquepaque-1.jpg

We stopped first at the Tlaquepaque Arts & Crafts Village to shop, and had lunch at El Rincon (which included a midday margarita that felt decadent at that hour and was delicious).

After lunch, we went (on a recommendation from another shop owner) to a store called The Crystal Palace to make an appointment for each of us to receive a psychic reading. Ms. W had experienced one before, but I had not, and we were both curious about what we might hear. Then, with a couple of free hours before our appointments, we drove to the main shopping area in town. We drove around for no less than 20 minutes looking for a parking space. Finally, we gave up, found a parking spot in New Mexico, and hiked back to the heart of Sedona from there. Okay, so it felt like that far. For a Monday in March, there were a lot of people in town, and not enough convenient parking for us all.

sedona-pb-3.jpgStill, in Sedona, I find it’s impossible to get upset about the traffic or the push of too many people. My gaze is drawn instinctively upward, above the restaurants and shops, to the beautiful scenery. It feels as though the energy of the place lifts my chin. Every direction offers a stunning view.

Some other time, I might write about my psychic reading. It was an interesting experience. Positive, and interesting.

The day was exactly what I needed. It was relaxing and restorative and fun (we laughed a lot). There were quiet moments, too, when my thoughts were with my sister. Sedona is the perfect place for quiet thoughts. The energy of the area is powerful.

I’ll say this. If you see Sedona in your rear view mirror, after spending the day there, the odds are good that it was an excellent day.

And it was.

sedona-pb-4.jpg

________________________________________

*Because I didn’t take a single photo today, I’m borrowing from PhotoBucket. I’ve linked each photo to its original location.

________________________________________

Now, I’m sending a grateful and heartfelt thank you to JCK at Motherscribe for sharing this award with me. Hers is one of my favorite blogs, both for her beautiful writing and her warmth. It is among the first I visit each morning. She makes my day, too. Every single one of them.

you-make-my-day-award.jpg

Also, I want to thank Autumn at Confessions of a (Not So) Domestic Diva, for this award. She really touched me with this one, and I look forward to reading the things she writes as she begins her own journey of telling her story.
beautiful-blogger-award.jpg

(When it’s not much too late at night, I will pass these along to others.)

________________________________________

cce March 18, 2008 at 3:45 am

What an amazing place. Thanks for sharing those wonderful photos. I’m quite sure if I found myself in a place like that I would never leave.

Congrats on your awards.

Melissa March 18, 2008 at 3:46 am

Lovely! I’m glad you’re enjoying your visit. That’s a place on my “to visit” list…someday…

suburbancorrespondent March 18, 2008 at 4:43 am

Looks gorgeous! I wish I could see it in person….someday, maybe…

Brenda March 18, 2008 at 5:37 am

You’re a lucky girl! We’ve been there one time and have been LONGING to return ever since. (Of course the Spring Break Camp is brilliant because when we went, Big Child threw up due to the curvy road to get there. That did put a tiny damper on the experience.) And we didn’t even get a whole day there.

So happy you got a restorative day. How important are those!

Slow Panic March 18, 2008 at 6:09 am

glad you had a great day. i am not jealous. i am not.

i am so freakin’ jealous.

we_be_toys March 18, 2008 at 6:29 am

I love road trips! Even if you did swipe the pictures from Photobucket, they were beautuful. I’ve resisited going out west, but this is talking me into it!

I really want to know about the visit with the psychic – what a groovy thing to go do!

Emily R March 18, 2008 at 6:37 am

Great. In addition to my bad haircut, I am green with envy.

Daryl E March 18, 2008 at 7:33 am

Sedona is on my short list of places I MUST go to. And now more than ever .. thanks for sharing both your thoughts and those pix from Photobucket… I look forward to hearing what the psychic said.

Jenn @ Juggling Life March 18, 2008 at 7:33 am

I have heard it’s beautiful; someday I will make it there. Friend days are so important–they restore us for all the kid days!

liv March 18, 2008 at 10:22 am

magnificent!

Suzanne March 18, 2008 at 10:30 am

I have never been there, but looking at the photos you selected sure makes me want to go!

Is it true that there is something mystical abou the place?

And how did your psychic reading go?

-Suz

Tootsie Farklepants March 18, 2008 at 10:38 am

Wow! Sedona is gorgeous! I suddenly feel like I need a vacation.

Congrats on your awards!!! Well deserved. *golf clap*

slouching mom March 18, 2008 at 11:28 am

That first picture. OMG.

Congrats. on the awards! They are very well deserved.

Lisa Milton March 18, 2008 at 11:43 am

So different from our landscape, in the NW – but SO pretty.

*congrats on the awards, too, of course*

flutter March 18, 2008 at 12:10 pm

the in-laws live up there, I just adore it

Mrs. Chili March 18, 2008 at 12:25 pm

I love that you post these photos – I don’t get to see anything even remotely like that in my environment, and I love living vicariously through my far-off blogger friends.

So?! What did the psychic say?!

Sandy (Momisodes) March 18, 2008 at 12:30 pm

I loved your post! I can only imagine, as I’ve never been. It has been on my list of places I’d love to visit in my lifetime 🙂 Those photos are stunning! GReat finds for your post.

Oh, and you are blogrolled!

ByJane March 18, 2008 at 12:47 pm

I’ve been to Sedona–I think. It was a time in my life when everything was a blur, so don’t think too ill of me that I don’t remember. Nice going on the awards!!

Janet March 18, 2008 at 1:23 pm

I loved my two trips to Sedona, such positive vibes there!

JCK March 18, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Jennifer, thank you so much for your incredibly kind words. You KNOW I feel the same. You are a treasure!

Your day sounded absolutely heavenly! Nothing like spending a relaxing day with a close friend and in Sedona of all places. I was there years ago and would love to getaway there with my husband. I, too, would love to hear about the psychic reading!

I found my breathing growing more spaced apart and feeling more and more relaxed as I read your post and viewed the spectacular photos.

Meg March 18, 2008 at 2:47 pm

What a wonderful way to spend a day! Breath taking scenery too! LUCKY you! One of these days…I will make it out there…sigh

Crazycath March 18, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Stunning views. Beautiful architecture.

Glad you had a good, restful time. And those awards are deserved.

Angela March 18, 2008 at 4:39 pm

You will stop posting pictures like this right this very minute. Do you understand me? Do you????? I am so serious. Bet you’d be jealous of what I got to look at today. The four walls of my office. No windows. All day. Enough with your pictures, woman.

molly March 18, 2008 at 5:08 pm

Sooooooo jealous. You are lucky to live near such beauty. And how great that you got to have a day away! Glad you enjoyed it.

marlee March 18, 2008 at 6:08 pm

Oooh! I’ve been there! I’ve been there! But I didn’t get any fabulous shots like YOURS (and neither did I have a margharita, for that matter… darn.) 🙂

HRH March 18, 2008 at 6:45 pm

What an amazing day. I am so glad you took the road trip and just a wee bit disappointed that I couldn’t go too…so beautiful. Congrats on the well deserved awards!

david mcmahon March 18, 2008 at 8:34 pm

Definitely my kind of place!

Kellan March 18, 2008 at 8:36 pm

What a beautiful place. I’m glad you had this good day with your friend – I’m glad you laughed!!!

Congratulations on the awards – you certainly deserve them (I love JCK too!).

Have a good Wednesday, my friend – I’ll see you soon. Kellan

the mama bird diaries March 18, 2008 at 9:56 pm

THAT is gorgeous! What a beautiful day.

andi March 18, 2008 at 11:12 pm

Wow, it looks beautiful there! Congrats on your well-deserved awards.

Sandi McBride March 19, 2008 at 5:12 am

This is my second tour of the day, having just toured Vienna with Merisi and now this beautiful site. Which is why I tell everyone that if you can’t see Europe, well Europe’s very nice, but America can’t be faulted for beauty, either…thanks for the tour…of course, David sent me…he’s a gem, is he not?
Sandi

Nicole P March 19, 2008 at 6:09 am

These are just gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing!

Neva March 19, 2008 at 7:17 am

I was in Sedona last year on our way from the Grand Canyon to Tuscon. My camera batteries died just as we got to Sedona so I have no pictures…..these remind me of what we saw….just stunning!!!!!

quilly March 19, 2008 at 10:20 am

Sedona is beautiful. There are so many differences and wonders in this world.

Jules~ March 19, 2008 at 10:35 am

David sent me over and I am so glad.
I have never been exploring around the Sedona area. I am not one for hot weather, but you are right, it is so very beautiful. Your pictures make me want to throw my hiking boots on.