The reading

by Jennifer on March 19, 2008

sedona5.jpgYesterday, in Sedona, I went for my first psychic reading. Some of you asked what the psychic revealed.

As you know, I spent the day with my good friend Ms. W. This would not be her first reading, but she was still a bit nervous about the whole thing , as I was. I suppose I feared a doom-filled prophesy brought about by a tragic trifecta of cards that would put a look of horror on the face of the psychic just before she ran from the room. In another scenario, I imagined the psychic would take one look at my aura, declare how messed up I was, call off the rest of the appointment, and ask if I wanted to play nickel-dime poker with Tarot cards instead. (To that, I would have answered, “Yep, you nailed it,” then dump all my loose change on the table and start dealing.)

Here’s what really happened…

When I saw the woman who would do our readings, I couldn’t decide whether to be comforted or intimidated by her appearance. She was tall, thin, and beautiful. (This is the link her website, which I include to give you some context for the story.) I considered all my bad lifestyle choices up to that point as we headed upstairs to a corner of an open room, where a table and chairs were enclosed by privacy screens. There were no beaded curtains or burning incense, and certainly nothing mystical about the exercise machine on the other side of the screen. (Though mysterious might be the right word.)

“Is there anything in particular you want to ask about?” she began. At that, the thought bubble above my head showed something like “duhhh.” Questions? Well, damn, I didn’t think to prepare questions. I just wanted someone to tell me what was going to happen–if I was headed in the right direction, or if I was well and truly due for the universe to mess with me.

She gave me a stack of Tarot cards and asked me to shuffle them, and then to choose ten cards, handing each one to her as I chose it. She arranged them, then closed her eyes and said some things to the universe. Then she said she would began to read my aura and try to see my chakras (something like that). At almost no point in the first part of the reading did she open her eyes to look at me (though she did later on toward the end, when it was more conversational). This reassured me that she wasn’t looking for nonverbal clues from me about the accuracy of her reading. I wish I had a transcript, though she did offer paper in case I wanted to take notes on what she said, which I did.

She told me that she sensed that I was in between two phases of my life, with one foot planted in the phase I am leaving, and the other planted where I am headed. The phase I am leaving is one of loss, and she saw that, just recently, I’ve been able to let go of some things that have caused a lot of pain and self-doubt for a long time. And where I am headed, she said, is into a period of claiming my purpose and deliberately working toward what that is for me. (Hmm, I thought, she might be on to something here…)

Where she really got me (though I remained stoic and cool) was with this. She said that in my life I haven’t had a very strong need for a sense of community with other women (This is true. I have a few close friends, but have never needed a large social network.) She saw that in the recent past I have started to create a sisterhood and community with a lot of other women.

Folks, I’ve been blogging for exactly two months. That’s all I’m saying. (Sorry fellas, she didn’t seem to take into account the male bloggers and readers.)

I asked if she saw a move in my future (please, yes, please), and she said that she did, but didn’t think it was an out of state move. This part was a bit off, though, since she had sensed that I was from California (I live in Arizona). So then she wondered if perhaps I was moving to California. (I’m not. Am I? Hell. I’m not skinny enough to live in California. Emily, hold a spot on your speed dial for me.)

Near the end of our time, I asked if she could see anything related to health. After a moment, she said that she saw that I was healthy, but “Are you concerned about someone else?” I wanted to know about Mr. H’s health. She asked for a photo of him, and after she looked at it, she handed it back. After sitting quietly for a moment, she targeted two specific health issues (both are under control). They are common enough problems, but she pinpointed the exact manifestation of one of them, which was startling.

I’ll leave it to you to draw your own conclusions. There was certainly nothing weird about any of it, but my nature is to be open to all kinds of possibilities in the world, to dip my toe into untested waters, and sometimes to jump right in.

At the end of the time, I felt very relaxed and at peace, which is an uncommon state for me. The energy and beauty in Sedona have their own effect on me, so it’s hard to say how much the place contributed to my sense of well-being, or if the reading helped me with that. I think it’s possible there are people who possess the ability to sense things about others, and that it’s a gift or a talent, like having a beautiful singing voice. Was my psychic one of them? Who’s to say? At worst, I walked away with $60 of mystical befuddlement. At best, I picked up a couple of clues, and they don’t weigh me down at all.

Emily R March 19, 2008 at 4:50 am

You are always welcome on my speed-dial.

HRH March 19, 2008 at 5:41 am

That is really interesting. I have no idea what to think of it either, but if you left with peace it sounds like a good thing to me. The whole thing is mysterious…

Mrs. Chili March 19, 2008 at 5:44 am

I truly believe there are a lot of genuine intuitives out there, though I’m also pretty firmly of the opinion that most of them don’t set up shop. I’m glad you were satisfied with your experience, but try to remember that the only thing that matters is RIGHT NOW. You can change the future by deciding to have lunch out this afternoon instead of staying in, and you get to choose the direction of your path. I’m just sayin’…

Brenda March 19, 2008 at 6:09 am

The community of women….. interesting.

Jenn @ Juggling Life March 19, 2008 at 7:42 am

The women of the blogosphere are nothing if not a supportive community.

Meg March 19, 2008 at 7:58 am

Wow…how interesting. I had that done many, many years ago, my friend was totally into it and took me with her one day. She pretty much nailed the next ten or so years of my life right on the head. She described my ex husband (before I met him) and told me I would have four kids to raise but would end up with three…scary…and true. My bonus daughter was killed in an accident at 13…

She said a lot of things to me that day, some good and some not so good. I got to the point where I started wondering if somehow I was changing the direction I was supposed to be taking because I was thinking about all the stuff she told me! So I STOPPED!

Hugs!

liv March 19, 2008 at 8:19 am

ooh! mystical experiences are just abounding right now!

a. beaverhausen March 19, 2008 at 9:09 am

I’m amazed at the intuitive nature of some people. If you can clear away the scammers I think you can find some really helpful individuals. I’ve had my palm read once. By a very ordinary looking woman on the verge of retirement from her job in a real estate office. She was DEAD ON and she knew nothing about me. It was such a good experience that I would be open to doing it again.

Jen M March 19, 2008 at 9:17 am

I am going to check her out – I am so glad I found you, fellow Arizona Blogger!

Are you on Bossy’s Road tour for April? Do you want to come?

Let me know – we’ve got quite the group of Arizona Bloggers going – frankly I haven’t even kept up with the updated list…

And we love Sedona, too. We moved to Flagstaff a few years ago and go down often…our favorite place to hang is Tlaquepaque!

Ducky March 19, 2008 at 9:37 am

Did she tell you anything you didn’t already know?

Lisa Milton March 19, 2008 at 9:53 am

I used to know a woman, when I was in my 20s, that did readings.

I never had a formal session, but she seemed very intuitive, and often said strange sage-y things to me.

Usually things I knew, I guess, but I always found it interesting.

I thought the blog/community thing was telling…

david mcmahon March 19, 2008 at 11:54 am

I thoroughly enjoy your easy narrative style – it’s like a giant Welcome mat on every post.

Most significantly, the last two sentences are vital on this post ….

And I’m so glad you enjoy my footnotes. Thanks for the lovely comment a few minutes ago ….

cce March 19, 2008 at 12:17 pm

I’m not sure I’m brave enough to visit with someone who can see things like that. I guess I keep a lot of secrets. Maybe I’m afraid to be exposed. Though this sense of calm you experienced afterwards sounds really, really good.

Sandy (Momisodes) March 19, 2008 at 1:11 pm

What an amazing experience. I loved the way you described it all and your views. I feel the same way about being open to all kinds of possibilities. I’ve always wanted to try a reading myself. Maybe one day…. 🙂

we_be_toys March 19, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Oooh! So very spooky and cool! She sounds like she was a true psychic (you just never know, ya know?)

So which cards came up, that you can remember? Any Major Arcana? I used to dabble, in another lifetime, and spent a lot of time learning their symbology. I know; “Fruitcake cleanup on aisle 7!”

Thanks for giving us the inside story – it was great fun to read!

Lisa March 19, 2008 at 3:33 pm

If anything, you got a great post out of it 🙂
Loved the sisterhood comment!

Suzanne March 19, 2008 at 6:42 pm

At the very least you got a great trip to Sedona, which looks like the most amazing place.

My question is, how did you feel about her pronouncements? Did they ring true or sound generic?

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could get a peak into the future, some guidance….or would that take all the fun out of the anticipation?

-Suz

sauerkraut March 19, 2008 at 7:01 pm

I see the gorgeous picture of the mesa between the conifer, I see the picture of a beautiful woman above the “about me,” I read the entry aboud the psychic, but I find myself more drawn to the comment about you possibly being intimidated by her beauty.

And so I ask myself, and now you, why are beautiful women sometimes intimidated by beautiful women?

She’s onto something about friends, tho. People who are comfortable in their own skins often select only a few close friends. jmho.

meow.

Neva March 19, 2008 at 7:18 pm

I love how you write…..it was a very intriguing post. I have often wondered about psychics…..I am glad your experience was a positive one….I have not ever had a reading done….maybe I am afraid of the doom and gloom thing. Thanks for sharing!

Slow Panic March 19, 2008 at 7:26 pm

what! she didn’t predict a move to the southeast? hmmmm. i don’t trust her at all! JK — you already know how i feel….

flutter March 19, 2008 at 7:36 pm

Sounds like you needed it. I’ll have to tell you about reiki in Sedona

Kellan March 19, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I think that is so interesting! I’ve never had a reading done – I think I am a true skeptic – but, I believe that other people totally believe. I do believe there are people that have special abilities, I just don’t believe I would trust all the people that claim to – you know. I’m glad you felt easy and positive – that is what matters.

Take care – Kellan

the mama bird diaries March 19, 2008 at 9:56 pm

i have goose bumps. That was great. I love a psychic reading. Love it.

Tootsie Farklepants March 19, 2008 at 10:41 pm

Oh shut up and come to CA already!

Average Jane March 20, 2008 at 9:27 am

That’s pretty cool! I always think that this kind of thing doesn’t necessarily have to be “real” to help you focus your thoughts in the right direction and discover what you really want.

So, are you going to *really* jump into your new community of women by going to BlogHer this year?

Daryl E March 20, 2008 at 9:38 am

Fascinating. I have never had a one on one reading but I did attend a group session once and it was also amazingly accurate.

ByJane March 20, 2008 at 11:03 am

I did an article on psychics once and, of course, HAD to do research. It was verrrrryy interesting. As was yours. I wonder how many of us in your circle of women friends would identify with that two phases prophesy. I sure do.

Crazycath March 20, 2008 at 12:00 pm

Interesting post. I have had readings in the past (very accurate) – even done some tarot card readings myself, but no more.

My view? I believe that the psychic ability is there. I question WHERE the power/ability comes from. Is it really God given? If not, where is it from?
I have chosen to avoid it since (for me) but I know it does bring a lot of comfort to some people and each to their own. Glad you got something out of it for YOU.

quilly March 20, 2008 at 1:08 pm

I am glad your reading went well. I have a built in fear of such things because when she was pregnant with Pam my step-mother was told she was cursed and the baby would die a horrible death shortly after birth. It didn’t happen, but it ruled our lives for months.

JCK March 20, 2008 at 3:03 pm

OH, I just LOVE tarot card readings. I used to get them fairly often, but it has been years. I’ll just have to meet you next time in Sedona myself!

This really sounded intriguing. I do believe that some people have the gift! And others have the gift of being open, like you!

aims March 21, 2008 at 8:51 am

They say there is something mystical about Sedona – lots of crystals in the ground – lots of hauntings!

I too went to a ‘reader’ when I was in my 20’s. I remember how nervous I was too…and the woman told me I would have trouble with my knee…and I did! Almost like she had touched me on the knee – like in Thinner by Stephen King…if only – and if only like 30 lbs….

btw – David sent me – and I’m glad he did!