The Sunday paper

by Jennifer on March 23, 2008

newspaper-2.jpg

I tossed this as close to the front door as I could. I tried, really.

In the News

France has agreed to send 1000 troops to Afghanistan, according to CNN.com, in addition to the 1900 they already have stationed there. Being an ally of the United States does have its drawbacks.

And who can turn away from watching what’s going on in Tibet? China aims to “resolutely crush the ‘Tibet independence’ forces’ conspiracy,” but have also found a huge PR problem on their hands, including talk of an Olympic boycott. The words resolutely crush aren’t easily digestible.

Arts & Culture

Should we throw off our old attachments to actual books, made from paper and bound with nice covers, for this?: Kindle, the portable library, available exclusively from Amazon.com. I’m a tough sell on this one, since I love the feel of books, and I love seeing rows and rows of them on my bookshelves. Somehow I can’t imagine that seeing this lone device, in its charger on a shelf, would give the same feeling. But does my argument for printed books fall into the realm of “10 miles to school in the snow, uphill both ways”? Last November, Newsweek ran a cover with the title, Books Aren’t Dead. (They’re Just Going Digital.)

I’ll admit, the device would save a lot of trees. And after watching a couple of promotional videos on the Amazon website, it looked tempting. In addition to books, the Kindle also has the capability of storing and updating multiple newspapers and blogs (blogs? hmm…), and its battery can last for days.

I’m not sold yet. If it smells like a book, then they might have me. But then I’d have to justify the $400 price tag, and I really think I prefer to indulge my book addiction $24 at a time.

I have to go put on my snow boots now (for walking to the bookstore uphill both ways….you know.)

Interestingly, Amazon is currently out of stock on the item. Maybe I’m one of the few holdouts. Or, as they like to call me, their target market.

Entertainment

Is anyone else counting the days until we get to see George Clooney and John Krasinski in Leatherheads? Put a big red X on April 4. Or whatever weekend provides a babysitter, and an extra $300 to cover the cost of tickets, popcorn, soda, and Milk Duds. Without the Mild Duds, you can slide in just under $260. (Remember when a matinee didn’t cost 9 million dollars?)

Travel

Lately, I’ve had my heart set on traveling to a few places, most of them in order to visit with good friends (soon, everyone, I promise). But after that…The city of Dublin seems to cross my radar a lot lately–from a Rick Steves episode on the city, to the article I just opened to today in Town & Country magazine. I’ve never been there, and it’s calling to me.

When I arrive (because in my rich fantasy life, I actually do make it), I have to visit the Dublin Writer’s Museum and have a pint or two at Davy Byrne’s. Actually, that’s my whole itinerary so far. That’s almost worth a plane ticket, right there. But before I go, do you think I should finally finish reading Ulysses and Dubliners? They’re both on my nightstand. My apologies to James Joyce. His memory deserves better.

Here’s Ha’Penny Bridge at night:

hapenny-bridge-at-night.jpg

And in fog:

hapenny-bridge-in-fog.jpg

Wherever you are, have a lovely day.

Daryl E March 23, 2008 at 8:10 am

Who can turn away from what is going on in Tibet? Apparently the fool in the White House .. gggrrrrrrrrrrrr

Happy Easter .. have a chocolate bunny or two .. 🙂

Brenda March 23, 2008 at 8:12 am

I’ll hold out with you on the digital books. What if it’s “a real page turner”? I need to hold that page ready to turn. And I need to smell a book, as you said. I need rows and rows on the shelf, also.

I don’t need to fill up another electrical outlet!

Jenn @ Juggling Life March 23, 2008 at 11:09 am

It’s definitely the price tag on the Kindle. That and if I could take my blogs with me everywhere I might never talk to people in real life!

Crazycath March 23, 2008 at 11:10 am

I’m with you on the smell of books. And the feel. Curling up with a digital thingy just isn’t the same.
I’m with you on Dublin too! Ironically, I have been all round every county in Eire, even landing at Dun Lauorghie (sp?) hundreds of times – but never quite making it into Dublin city itself. Isn’t that weird?
And Ha’penny bridge looks much better without the fog. ;0)

Melissa March 23, 2008 at 11:19 am

Cool post!
I agree on the Kindle, I’m too old fashioned for such nonsense. I also like my music on vinyl or cassette and prefer to keep my undergarments out of public view. Silly old me:)
Dublin is pretty great–the museum there has an amazing exhibit of artifacts from 1200 BC.

The post about your son and his penny? So sweet. I love that he did that.

ByJane March 23, 2008 at 11:27 am

I think the blogosphere should rear up and boycott (or something) the Olympics. It’s so typical of the current administration (who have commercial ties to China) to think that the human rights situation in China is THEIR business! Blech!

On a lighter note, I too am looking forward to Leatherheads as my father was one. I’m trying to scare up some old photos of him in his uniform to put on my blog.

And an urgent plea: why not travel to CA this summer, to San Francisco, to be specific, to BlogHer ’08. We could be roomies.

Jane

Lisa March 23, 2008 at 11:44 am

I agree with you on the books–love the feel and smell of old leather books 🙂
Oh I love James Joyce. I could read ‘Dubliners’ again and again and again and again,,,,
If you can’t read it all read the first story ‘The Sisters’ and then read the last story–‘The Dead’; I LOVE that one! The two balance each other too.
I don’t think I could ever get the feel of ‘Dubliners’ reading it on a Kindle.

Tibet–heartbreaking, terrible–it makes me sick.

molly March 23, 2008 at 11:56 am

I’m with you on the Kindle. I have got to have a real paper book in my hands. I have enough trouble reading a full sized computer screenfull of text!

I hate to say this, but I almost wish we would boycott the Olympics. I know that would be awful for the athletes and I would feel so sorry knowing how hard they have trained and how their hopes would be dashed, but I don’t think we should reward a country that treats its people this way.
In my opinion, the Olympic committee should never have chosen China as the host country in the first place based on their record on human rights. Did they not see something like this coming?

liv March 23, 2008 at 11:58 am

gawd. i hate the paper.

Sandy (Momisodes) March 23, 2008 at 12:05 pm

I think I’m with you on the Kindle. There are so many books that I love and love to give as gifts. I enjoy writing messages in them while giving them to friends, or jotting notes on the side. I’m not sure I could be 100% sold…yet 😉

cce March 23, 2008 at 2:40 pm

I’m just getting used to the iPod and the DVR and I still don’t ever, ever text anybody, so the Kindle is just way to progressive for me still. I’m, admittedly, NOT an early adapter. And as a writer I just cringe to think of someone reading my book on a hand held device. It’s just not what I’ve imagined. But I suppose anyone reading MY book in any manner is a good thing, a very good thing.

JCK March 23, 2008 at 4:02 pm

What a great reflective post on a beautiful Easter Sunday. I’m just assuming it is beautiful where you live, because…well, it is!

I HATE the idea of downloading books. To me the only appeal would be as a “toy” to use for downloading material, but give me pages to turn between my fingers…and a little chocolate…mmmm

Loved all of your different thoughts today. Travel, politics….like riding a little canoe through your thoughts.

Joy March 23, 2008 at 6:32 pm

I can’t see giving up books, no matter how convenient it seems to have them all in a tiny gadget.!

HRH March 23, 2008 at 6:42 pm

The digital book thing is just not going to work for me right now…maybe I will change, but it just seems weird.

The bridge is amazing. Take me with you.

MamaGeek March 23, 2008 at 7:32 pm

You NAILED this. Why IS a movie so expensive nowadays? *le sigh*

Betsy Bird March 23, 2008 at 7:35 pm

While your other commenters are thinking profound thoughts about books, I’m thinking about John Kasinski. Is he cute or what? That season ender a couple of years ago when he told Pam he loved her was so perfect that when they re-ran it, I made my boys watch it so they’d know what romantic looked like. Mom-crushes are pathetic, aren’t they?

Lisa Milton March 23, 2008 at 8:40 pm

I haven’t bought into the digital book thing either. Yes, it’s practical but it just feels wrong.

There. I said it.

And as for my other obsession – movies – I miss the cheap matinees back before I had kids. I didn’t need any snow boots or anything.

(The Tibet situation is heart-breaking.)

Carolyn March 23, 2008 at 11:41 pm

Love this post. Thursday Drive is turning into a ‘must read’ for me. Few comments:

Cina/Tibet – Totally agree with everything Molly said. China, as a nation, should be ashamed.

Kindle – What planet have I been on? I didn’t even know it existed until yesterday when I paid a visit to amazon.com and it almost crashed my computer. Then I read about something called a Kindle that was so popular that they had to post an apology on their front page to explain why it was out of stock. Did I ever feel out of touch! Anyway, I’m not in. I love books too much. (Unfortunate for trees but true).

Dublin – Run don’t walk to the airport and get on a plane to Dublin. It’s #4 on my “Best Places on the Planet List”, only behind Sunset Beach (Hawaii), my home (Vancouver) and my second home (Budapest, Hungary). In my opinion, Dublin is a ‘must see before you die’ kind of place. No pressure or anything.

Sorry for the rambling, thanks for the post.

Kelley March 24, 2008 at 2:27 am

You could always come to Australia. We got lots of cultcha like here. And kangaroos, and dirt, and trees and stuff.

On second thoughts, enjoy Dublin.

Tootsie Farklepants March 24, 2008 at 1:28 pm

And plus? Their crossword puzzles are way too hard.

Hatchet March 24, 2008 at 4:31 pm

I’m skipping everything else to go right to Dublin.

I’ve been there, as well as Italy and Dublin was wonderful. The cabbie was terribly funny and after driving around in a cab determined that I’d never drive there. The food is fantastic so long as you stay away from the actual Irish/English fare (save for fish and chips, of course), but fortunately there’s a HUGE mix of different food/cultures in Dublin, so you can eat pretty much anything you want while there. I had fabulous Hungarian food…

Um, scenery is fantastic. Go on a Ghost Tour, just for grins. Ooh and see castles. Hit a few bars just for the atmosphere. Ask a cabbie about Guinness. If you can manage to go during the football (rugby) season, you will be in for a treat: the Irish are crazy for football, especially if they’re up against the English. Once while I was there the Welsh were beating the English in the world cup or something and it was the biggest party in the streets EVER.

Whoops! I’m blathering.