And the pendulum swings back…

by Jennifer on October 10, 2008

You should all get a special badge after the great comments you left on my last post – you all gave me such a boost.

With your words to back me up, I then gave myself a cosmic kick in the backside, and things are looking better now. As River Poet said in her comment, “Things will start looking up soon. The pendulum never swings to just one side.”

So we’re kicking the K out of FUNK here, getting the hell out of Dodge, and are off to have some fun tomorrow…

The kids don’t know yet what we’re doing (the surprise will be worth it, and they’re so excited that there’s a surprise), they only know that it’s something they’re going to love.

I’m taking them on a scenic train ride on the Verde Canyon Railroad, that departs from a town about two hours north of here. We’ve all really wanted to take this trip for a while now (it’s a four hour train trip), and it will be their first time on a real train.

The scenery, through what’s called Arizona’s ‘Other’ Grand Canyon, will be spectacular (check out the photo gallery on the site), and that has my heart racing. I’m hoping for some fall color, too, since we won’t be seeing much of that around here.

The glass of champagne to start the trip won’t exactly bother me, either (wait, the kids are underage – do I get theirs?).

So that’s where you’ll find me tomorrow, getting a huge attitude adjustment. I was well on my way to it already, but this makes me happier than just about anything could right now.

An adventure, a road trip, some beautiful country, and the company of two great kids.

It’s safe to say that I’m not shaking my fist at the universe anymore.

_______________________________________________________________

Thank you again for all of the kind and supportive words on my last post. They helped, every one of them.

Photos to come, and I’ll announce the winner of the Build-A-Bear Workshop gift card.

JCK October 10, 2008 at 7:46 pm

Oh, I’m SO thrilled that you are treating yourselves to this. It sounds just wonderful. What a blessing our children are. Go, Jennifer!!

JCKs last blog post..Oh GOD, here we go AGAIN.

flutter October 10, 2008 at 9:48 pm

good, babe. Good.

flutters last blog post..I see you there

Reluctantfarmchik October 10, 2008 at 10:35 pm

Nothing like a road trip, with a side of train thrown in! Excellent therapy, for sure. And, with any luck, you’ll see a herd of cowboys riding alongside the train for a while (with a STUNNING blue-eyed leader who will make direct and prolonged eye contact with you before leading the pack away). Hope your kids have a blast. Will they have their own cameras (disposable even)? So that they (especially girl) can make a mini scrapbook as next weekend’s surprise? Are they as creative with words as you are? Might they write a poem/story along the train ride? (you know – to go in their scrapbook).
We all need a cosmic kick in the pants once in a while. I’m needing one to help me sleep. For more than a two-hour stretch.
Happy weekend.

Reluctantfarmchiks last blog post..A sky departure

Reluctantfarmchik October 10, 2008 at 10:37 pm

didn’t mean to sound too “Martha Stewart-y” in my post. Sometimes I hate people like me. Please forgive.

Reluctantfarmchiks last blog post..A sky departure

RiverPoet October 11, 2008 at 4:49 am

Ahhh, I’m always so glad to hear when things swing back to the good side. So glad that my comment was something you took to heart. See? You can take back the reins and steer your days toward something better. I hope you and your kids really enjoy the train ride. It sounds amazing…Peace – D

RiverPoets last blog post..Carpe Diem!

CrazyCath October 11, 2008 at 8:06 am

Glad you dipped in the Jordan! The pendulum swung back. We don’t want a new you. A clean you would be ok (ref dip in Jordan – maybe you would not come out that clean actually) but a new you? Nah. I like you as you are. ;0)

Glad you got the trip. Have a great time!

CrazyCaths last blog post..Psalm

Madge October 11, 2008 at 8:34 am

i hope you guys have the best of days. so glad to hear about that damn pendulum. know where i can get one of those?

Madges last blog post..New Diet Plan

Jenn @ Juggling Life October 11, 2008 at 12:52 pm

That looks like a wonderful time. You should definitely get their Champagne.

Tina October 11, 2008 at 2:24 pm

Hope the trip is wonderful! What beautiful country…Glad you are feeling more positive…

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 October 11, 2008 at 2:26 pm

Yay on feeling better! I hope you have a great trip and great champagne 🙂

Lisa@verybusymomwith4s last blog post..There was nothing said about the food….

andi October 11, 2008 at 3:01 pm

I hope you’re out having fun RIGHT NOW. I can’t believe I missed your funk – I’m sorry and I hope you’re feeling better. Hugs – I missed you!

jenrantsraves October 11, 2008 at 5:46 pm

That sounds fantastic. We spent today surrounded by the changing colors of fall leaves at a pumpkin patch, and it totally rejuvenated me. Nature has an amazing power, doesn’t it? Hope you’ll share a few pictures you get.

Linda October 11, 2008 at 6:53 pm

Thank goodness for the pendulum swinging. I read your blog ‘Faded’ and I must have gotten distracted because I thought that I had commented. Here it is Saturday and you took that fabulous trip already. The pictures are absolutely stunning. I would love to take that trip. Next time ‘the girl’ acts up bring back the memories of your beautiful train ride. One trick that helps me when the dark side talks loudly is to treat myself as if I was my own daughter and it stops me in my tracks. I would never allow anyone to speak to my daughter in such a way.
Can’t wait to see your pictures!

Lindas last blog post..Busy weekend = tired Linda

Ducky October 11, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Linda’s comment reminded me of this (sorry, long) quote from Eat, Pray, Love:

So I’ve started being vigilant about watching my thoughts all day, and monitoring them. I repeat this vow about 700 times a day: “I will not harbor unhealthy thoughts anymore.” Every time a diminishing thought arises, I repeat the vow. I will not harbor unhealthy thoughts anymore. The first time I heard myself say this, my inner ear perked up at the word “harbor,” which is a noun as well as a verb. A harbor, of course, is a place of refuge, a port of entry. I pictured the harbor of my mind—a little beat-up, perhaps, a little storm-worn, but well-situated and with a nice depth. The harbor of my mind is an open bay, the only access to the island of my Self (which is a young and volcanic island, yes, but fertile and promising). This island has been through some wars, it is true, but it is now committed to peace, under a new leader (me) who has instituted policies to protect the place. And now—let the word go out across the seven seas—there are much, much stricter laws on the books about who may enter this harbor.

You may not come here anymore with your hard and abusive thoughts, with your plague ships of thoughts, with your slave ships of thoughts, with your warships of thoughts—all these will be turned away. Likewise, any thoughts that are filled with angry or starving exiles, with malcontents and pamphleteers, mutineers and violent assasins, desperate prostitutes, pimps and seditious stowaways—you may not come here anymore, either. Cannibalistic thoughts, for obvious reasons, will no longer be received. Even missionaries will be screened carefully, for sincerity. This is a peaceful harbor, the entryway to a fine and proud island that is only now beginning to cultivate tranquility. If you can abide by these new laws, my dear thoughts, then you are welcome in my mind—otherwise, I shall turn you all back toward the sea from whence you came.

That is my mission, and it will never end.

csquaredplus3 October 11, 2008 at 8:09 pm

So glad you’re spirits are lifted and you’ll be enjoying a wonderful adventure with your family. Enjoy the beautiful ride!

Rhea October 12, 2008 at 4:25 pm

The train ride sounds awesome! My boys would LOVE to do something like that. What a fun adventure!

I need a cosmic kick in the backside…or a real kick maybe. I’m having trouble getting my Sh*t together lately. UGH

Rheas last blog post..Tita’s Treasure Chest

the mama bird diaries October 12, 2008 at 7:07 pm

Enjoy the train ride. Sounds like the perfect day.

the mama bird diariess last blog post..was it as good for you?

Momisodes October 12, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Wow! What a perfect getaway 🙂 It sounds amazing. Our family adores train rides- so relaxing and scenic.

Can’t wait to read about it and see pics!

Momisodess last blog post..Filler Twitter Style

Ann October 13, 2008 at 2:12 pm

OH FUN!! I’ve never taken this train, but since moving here – have often wondered if it’s a fun thing to do. Can’t wait to hear about it. ENJOY!!!

Anns last blog post..We Know We’re Nuts, What’s New

Em October 13, 2008 at 2:14 pm

Oh, I hope the trip recharged your batteries. Sounds like something my Boys would absolutely adore!

Now, go kick that teenage girls @ss!

Em

Ems last blog post..PSA: They ALWAYS look like this!

Suzanne October 13, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Oh, that looks incredible! I hope you had a great time-and that they gave you the kids glasses of champagne! 🙂

Suzannes last blog post..Arrrrrggggghhhhhhhh

Grandy October 13, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I’m slow and behind on these lately. So glad you got away…hoping you sipped their champaigne too. Let’s face it, 4 hours on a train would wear off any buzz.

I’m raising a glass to you, beautiful. Mine has just milk and some pain meds, but it’s a glass that’s half full for ya…no matter how you look at it. 😉

Louise October 15, 2008 at 6:43 pm

I hope it was OH SO FUN and that you had something entertaining for the 2-hour car drive! (Entertaining for the kids.)

Louises last blog post..Louise’s Comfort Zone — Reality or Myth?