A clean house, and other impossibilities

by Jennifer on October 27, 2008

How I spent my morning…

• Contributed twice to the Starbucks corporate bottom line.
  • Inhaled the most perfect of smells…a house cleaned by someone who was not me. The hour I spent picking up the house well enough so that they could clean is forgotten now – like the pain of childbirth.Β  And the similarities don’t end there…in both cases I found myself saying things like how did I let this happen? why is it taking so long? and give me the damn drugs…
  • Experienced a moment of clarity about how to fix the opening of my novel. (Now, the mother doesn’t die…why let her off the hook like that? Keeping her alive throws open the rest of the story.)
  • Argued back and forth with myself about whether I should say something to the Sunday School teacher who told my son yesterday that Cereal X (which Boy had mentioned having for breakfast) is “harmful to your body, and one of the worst things you can eat.” I happen to know that this teacher is very, very health-minded (very), but is it really her place to tell my son that what I allowed him to eat for breakfast (which, in my opinion is somewhere in the middle of the pack of breakfast cereals, and I don’t even buy it all that much) is harmful to his body? Is it her place to pass judgment on what I feed my kids? Or am I over-reacting? Please advise.
  • Reached no clear decision re: What’s for dinner tonight?
  • Did I mention that my house is mostly sort of picked up and clean?

(who doesn’t love Anne Taintor?)

Lisa Milton October 27, 2008 at 2:30 pm

*I love that you are using bullets today too.
*And mentioned changes in your novel.
*However, no one is cleaning my house, but me, and I think I’d rather not.
*And I think teachers should probably keep their opinions about cereal to themselves. I mean, really. Worst thing you can put in your body brings to mind things like heroin. Heroin flakes rarely go on sale, so I doubt you splurged for it during this economy.
(Sounds like she has some food issues.)
*You are fabulous.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 October 27, 2008 at 2:33 pm

I totally heart Anne Taintor πŸ™‚

we had a house keeper but with four animals, uh, kids, it’s kind of a waste of money πŸ™

Lisa@verybusymomwith4s last blog post..A Night To Remember

Mrs. G. October 27, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Eh, let the cereal thing go. Just tell your son the world is full of Fruit Loops.

Mrs. G.s last blog post..Sunday Drive

we_be_toys October 27, 2008 at 3:28 pm

Gack! Who ever really knows what’s for dinner? I’ve always wanted to be the Jewish Princess of the joke:
“what does a Jewish Princess make for dinner? Reservations.” (apologies to any JPs – it’s just the way it was told to me, ai’ght?)
The teacher needs to suck on a Hoho instead of preaching her breakfast gospel (is that harsh? that’s harsh, isn’t it?)
I have to envy you your clean house (pause for sobbing over state of my house)!!
Yay! The mother gets to live (does that sound harsh?)
Mondays….’nuff said.

we_be_toyss last blog post..In The Voting Line

Louise October 27, 2008 at 3:29 pm

Mrs. G is hilarious! You might plant it in Boy to mention next week how frequently you contribute to the Starbucks bottom line.
Personally, I would let it go, too, but might give Boy a polite comeback for the eventual happening again. HOWEVER, if it DOES happen again, I might do something. Teachers of all sorts do things they shouldn’t/regret. I’ve had my own few. I’m “perfect” almost all of the time, and in one off moment, the world slams me. I might give her another change, but it is definitely none of her business.

I laughed at the “cleaning how for the housekeepers” comparison to labor/childbirth.

THE MOTHER DOESN’T DIE????? Oh, PLEASE send me revisions! PLEASE!

Dinner… I didn’t make food at all last week. (Are you OK after that statement?) Prince Charming hasn’t done the grocery shopping this week–we were gone ALL day yesterday. I’m foraging because I’m sick of food not made in this house. I found some homemade marinara sauce (from my tomatoes) in the freezer, so we’re having spaghetti. That is a food item almost never on my menu (OK, everything is almost never on my menu), but with homemade marinara, I think I can take it. I hope. After a week of no cooking, I’m not really in the mood to pick it up again.

And Anne Taintor (introduced to me by you) brings a smile to my face every time!

Louises last blog post..Cottonwoods β€” My World

csquaredplus3 October 27, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I’d let the cereal comment go too. You can parent through the “facts” with your son and put crunchy teacher’s comment in perspective and context, in a mature way. You’ll be a good example. Crunchy teacher added much drama to what could have been a “healthier cereal choices” discussion, but having come off a weekend where my foot is still in my mouth – we all make mistakes.

It’s dinner time here and I still don’t know “what’s for dinner tonight?”.

Mary Alice October 27, 2008 at 3:56 pm

Yeah, let it go…or teach your son to tell people who question his cereal, that Mama likes to live dangerously.

Mary Alices last blog post..Aha Moments with the Rising Sun

jenrantsraves October 27, 2008 at 4:15 pm

The teacher – out of line. I believe she is to be teaching him about, uh God? Not breakfast cereal.

I had to give up my twice a month cleaning team, and I weep for them. Hope I can get them back soon.

Ree October 27, 2008 at 4:45 pm

You could tel the teacher it’s Count Chocula or chocolate cake. πŸ˜‰

Personally, I think getting kids to eat breakfast is a plus – I buy pop tarts just to get Shortman to get food in himself before he goes to school.

reluctantfarmchik October 27, 2008 at 4:51 pm

Let the cereal thing go – as annoying as that is. The problem with opening a conversation with people who need to preach on healthy cereals is that you have to finish those conversations – and they never really do finish.

I am so totally jealous of your clean (not by me) house. I need a house like that too. Soon. Like yesterday.

Love your bullet points.

reluctantfarmchiks last blog post..The Report. . .

Laura Lee October 27, 2008 at 4:53 pm

Don’t let the cereal thing go! If she’s got no problem imposing her views on cereal, there’s no telling what will come next! That could be Very bad!

Laura Lees last blog post..French Idiot

San Diego Momma October 27, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I also had my house cleaned today!
I love the smell of Comet in the morning. Seriously, I think maid service is the key to my happiness.

As for the cereal, I think talking to your son might be a good idea (rather than talking to the teacher). If you talk to your son and explain that everyone is somewhere on the spectrum of what they think is good for you, and that his teacher’s views are on the more extreme end, and she’s welcome to her opinion, but she’s a nut case (you might want to skip that last part), then at least he can put her comments in context in the future.

Master of run-on sentences,
Deb

San Diego Mommas last blog post..PROMPTuesday #28: Where I’m From

apathy lounge October 27, 2008 at 7:52 pm

Um…Sunday School teacher should decide whether she wants to teach religion or nutrition. And then mind her own business about the one she didn’t pick.

apathy lounges last blog post..Dear Parents of Casey: You’re blowing it. Very sincerely, The Sub.

Margaret (Nanny Goats) October 27, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Unless it is in reference to some Bible verse, a Sunday School teacher is the LAST person to tell you that what you are doing is bad. Coming from her position, it could be misconstrued as a sin. And if she’s got insecurity issues, that is EXACTLY what she’s trying to accomplish.

Then again, what the hell do I know? Sometimes things are about context. It could have a completely innocent comment.

Margaret (Nanny Goats)s last blog post..Long Distance Relationships: Do They Work?

Kimberly October 27, 2008 at 8:09 pm

Great news about the novel! I can’t wait to be reading your book at my book club saying, “I know her! She rocks.”

I second Mrs. G. on the cereal thing. She said it perfectly.

Kimberlys last blog post..The ugly side of politics and people

JCK October 27, 2008 at 9:38 pm

Lisa & Jen cracked me up. I agree absolutey. Teacher waaay overstepped. Not her place.

Am SO jealous of your clean house!

JCKs last blog post..I cannot write to please other people

Crazycath October 28, 2008 at 8:09 am

Absolutely she has no right to tell your son that. If she is that concerned, she should firstly approach you and secondly campaign to have it banned.

Some one else to clean my house…. *dreamy swoon*
[sigh]

Crazycaths last blog post..Congregation meetings

Hilary October 28, 2008 at 8:39 am

I’d so want to mess with that teacher by sending sugary snacks with the kidlet.. but of course that puts him in the middle which would be WRONG. I do love Mrs. G’s comment though. πŸ™‚

Hilarys last blog post..Bridging Generations

melissa October 28, 2008 at 8:47 am

A) I love Anne Taintor.
B) I agree, I don’t have any business telling other people’s kids what to and not to eat. I can “advise” that carrots and apples or healthy, but NOT pass judgment on what their parents buy to feed them. MYOB in this case.

melissas last blog post..A Greener Disney World? C’est possible!

Elaine October 28, 2008 at 9:22 am

Sounds like that teacher needs a good cupcake or something. Geez.

I have been thinking about hiring a house cleaner and now I just want to do it more!! : )

Elaines last blog post..It’s a Cuddly Giveaway!

Jenn @ Juggling Life October 28, 2008 at 10:15 am

Tell your son what your opinion is on the cereal thing and that it’s just one of those things people have differences of opinion about. Then let it go.

The smell of Pledge applied by someone else is a heavenly scent indeed.

Jenn @ Juggling Lifes last blog post..In Which My Song Is Being Played

Dharmamama October 28, 2008 at 10:49 am

I agree with Mrs. G, though she said it far more funnily than I did in my head.

Don’t you love when something clicks in your writing, and you go “Ah! That’s it!” LOVE that feeling.

I love Dinner Diva for dinner ideas, freezer meals, etc.:

Dharmamamas last blog post..My Dreams are Connected to My Heart, Too

Rhea October 28, 2008 at 11:49 am

That Sunday School teacher was out of line. Sheesh.

I’m jealous, a clean house, a brainstorm to fix your novel opening and a mostly cleaned house done by someone else?! Sounds like Nirvana to me!

Rheas last blog post..Wordless Wednesday: Sunset in Santa Cruz

Bruce October 28, 2008 at 11:55 am

Contributed to Starbucks twice in one day??? …. Are you wealthy or did you steal two different lattes from two different stores?

Cleaning house itsakin to Childbirth?….wow…..now I CAN relate to what it is like to have children….because I have cleaned my house thousands of times!

I know how it begins, if you let the cat out of the bag and tell me how it ends, I will have no reason to buy when it is published.

Send the Sunday School teacher a threatening note attached to a Twinky, it is none of her business, unless you are feeding your child Captain Crunch, in which case I will be calling CPS on you.

For dinner, Pei Wei takeout is always good in a pinch.

Isn’t your house dirty again by now?

Daryl October 28, 2008 at 12:01 pm

Okay so we now no longer have to read the end of the novel because we know the mother lives … phew

and this teacher? she needs to mind her own bidness … really … seriously.

I spent yesterday (Monday) being boob squashed and sono’d then bloodworked … I wish I had someone cleab my place while I was gone

Coco October 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm

The Sunday school teacher sounds like a head case. Sorry. I’m sure she’s perfectly lovely IRL, but come on. Kids have enough to scare them with these days without the freaking Sunday School poison cereal specter hanging over their heads.

My evil side says to tell Boy to respond to such comments: “My mother says that the worst thing people can put in their bodies is actually smug self-righteousness” but then we all know that’s not appropriate.

So I guess I’d shrug and tell Boy everyone has a right to their opinion, the cereal wouldn’t be in your home if you, his mom, thought it was “body poison”, and if she brings it up again he should politely change the subject and let you know. If it becomes a habit then I’d take it up with the Pastor, I suppose.

Incidentally, the idea of serving “Heroin Flakes” made me laugh. Good one, Lisa.

Cocos last blog post..Scary Monsters

flutter October 28, 2008 at 2:25 pm

dude, your house is clean. I am sitting here, overwhelmed with the grossness of mine.

flutters last blog post..

RiverPoet October 28, 2008 at 5:58 pm

So many of my characters used to die. Now I make them stay alive and face the music, just like I have to do πŸ˜‰

Peace – D

RiverPoets last blog post..Quit Jammin’ Me

anymommy October 28, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Two starbucks AND a clean house. That is a good day.

anymommys last blog post..Two Paths Diverged

the mama bird diaries October 28, 2008 at 8:17 pm

that is OUTRAGEOUS what that teacher said to your son. So out of line. Now I’m all pissed about it.

the mama bird diariess last blog post..4% doesn’t feel so good

Dharmamama October 29, 2008 at 10:34 am

I also thought you could ask your son to say “Guess I shouldn’t mention the crack, then” if she says something similar in the future.

@ Bruce – I *love* Captain Crunch! It makes a rare appearance here every now and then. At least it doesn’t have high fructose corn syrup!

Dharmamamas last blog post..My Dreams are Connected to My Heart, Too