Milestone

by Jennifer on November 3, 2008

On the day I turned 12 years old, Reagan won the election. That was long before I developed any allegiance to one party or another, but I remember thinking it was pretty cool that the election fell on my birthday.

And so it does, again.

But this time? It’s super cool. (So maybe there’s some hip slang I could use instead of cool, but I don’t know it. Because I’m 40 now. Sacrifices must be made.)

I have no idea how the day will play itself out, but I do know that I have my fingers crossed for my candidate, but also in the hope that whoever wins will take it by such a wide margin that the country won’t be left in limbo for days or weeks. We could use that much certainty.

There are a lot of places one could spend a milestone birthday like this one, but I have a feeling that I’ll be exactly where the rest of you are.

On the edge of my seat.

___________________________________________________________

Edited:

My best friend Madge wrote some nice things for me today over at her place. I just went back to read it for the second time, and I’m crying all over again…

And…I completely forgot to mention that this is also my 200th post!

flutter November 3, 2008 at 11:22 pm

Happy birthday, babe.

flutters last blog post..In love

dragonfly November 4, 2008 at 2:41 am

Happy birthday!!

Me, I voted about six weeks ago, since I had to vote absentee. And it somehow felt a little less exciting, since I did it in my living room. But it was kind of neat, because I spent the whole time talking to my son (who understood very little, I’m sure) about how important it is to vote, and how special it is that we can vote no matter where we are in the world, and other things like that.

Really what has me so excited about this election is how excited people are about voting. Both sides, just getting out there and voting. How cool is that? 😉

dragonflys last blog post..Mickey has nothing on *my* little mouse.

Mary Alice November 4, 2008 at 3:29 am

Happy Birthday and here is to many more, each happier and happier.

Mary Alices last blog post..Military Wives supporting Obama

Mrs. Chili November 4, 2008 at 3:58 am

Happy birthday. As you blow out your candles, make an extra wish for the country, wouldja? I think we’re going to need it. Maybe it’s the cynical Yankee in me, but I’m hunkering down for a difficult post-election period.

Mrs. Chilis last blog post..Ten Things Tuesday

Madge November 4, 2008 at 4:33 am

happy birthday! there is a present for you on my blog!

Madges last blog post..Ten Things Tuesday – Birthday Edition

Jan November 4, 2008 at 4:38 am

Happy Birthday Jennifer!! I love being in my 40s (I’ve got a few years on you – I’ll be 46 next month) and I think you will too.

As for the election, I will be SO glad when this day is over. It has all dragged on way too long and the emotional toil has been awful.

Jans last blog post..And So It Begins…

reluctantfarmchik November 4, 2008 at 5:29 am

Yes – this is an “edge of the seat” kind of day. It’s days like this that I feel I should get my citizenship switched. Just hasn’t happened. Hope your birthday isn’t totally shadowed over by politics – that you take some time to pamper yourself. How about a pedicure? Or massage? Make a call – get an appointment. Just do it. You’ll love it, and you deserve it.

reluctantfarmchiks last blog post..Skywatch Catch-up

RiverPoet November 4, 2008 at 6:18 am

Happy birthday, Jennifer! Many happy returns!

Peace – D

RiverPoets last blog post..Against the Grain

jenrantsraves November 4, 2008 at 6:19 am

Happy Birthday!! I hope you have a great day, whatever you end up doing, and I hope this is the year that all your dreams come true (or at least that one).

Anastasia November 4, 2008 at 6:28 am

Happy Birthday and well said about the election. I’m feeling optimistic that the choice of the people will be clear by tonight.

catnip November 4, 2008 at 7:09 am

Happy Birthday! What an amazing day for it to fall on.

Lisa Milton November 4, 2008 at 7:29 am

Happy birthday, Jennifer.

Whether you take to the road, or to the page, may this day be the start to an amazing decade.

Cheers!

Lisa Milton November 4, 2008 at 7:30 am

I’m trying to figure out the commentluv function dysfunction. Please stand by…

Jenn @ Juggling Life November 4, 2008 at 7:34 am

Happy Birthday! Maybe if you make a wish on your birthday breakfast it will help make our dreams come true.

Jenn @ Juggling Lifes last blog post..Is It Over Yet?

Autumn November 4, 2008 at 8:33 am

Happy Birthday! Have a great one!

Autumns last blog post..Finally, The Politics Take Over

maggie, dammit November 4, 2008 at 10:04 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

I know what I’m wishing for.

maggie, dammits last blog post..Domestic Violence blog update; final contenders announced – please vote!

Daryl November 4, 2008 at 10:06 am

Happy Birthday
Happy 200th post day
Happy Election Day .. here’s hoping for a solid Blue finish!

Coco November 4, 2008 at 10:09 am

Happy Birthday, Baby! I’ll have a large glass of wine for you.

Also, you’ve inspired me to join NaNoWriMo. I’m not sure if I’ll be thanking you or sobbing at you later. 😉

Cocos last blog post..Hush-A-Bye

Louise November 4, 2008 at 10:16 am

Happy, Happy Birthday from your loser cousin who had the best intentions this year because of the milestone but didn’t get anything sent in time.

Louises last blog post..World’s Longest Tram–My World

Denise November 4, 2008 at 10:53 am

OMG is today your birthday too?????? WOWZA!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!! And your 40? CRAZY!!!

csquaredplus3 November 4, 2008 at 11:00 am

Good Heavens! Your 40th birthday, and your 200th post. Happy BIrthday, Congratulations and Cheers! Have a wonderful day and all the best in the coming year!

Warmly, Chris

Suzanne November 4, 2008 at 11:19 am

Happy, happy birthday!!!!!! I hope you’ve got a special evening planned, maybe something involving wine? poker? hubby? all of the above?

Happy 200th post, and fingers crossed happy election day!!!

Now, I’m off to read that post by Madge……and looking forward to hearing more about your progress on NaNoWriMo!

Ducky November 4, 2008 at 11:35 am

You are not a loser cousin, Louise. We are the losers at the moment, by a landslide!

the mama bird diaries November 4, 2008 at 11:35 am

Happy Birthday girl!!!! You are one fabulous 40 year-old! And I hope the Reagan win is not an omen of what’s to come today… but that’s just me. Enjoy your day. I’ll be on the edge of my seat with you.

the mama bird diariess last blog post..vote.

Gwen November 4, 2008 at 12:50 pm

Happy Birthday! I hope all your dreams come true.

Cha Cha November 4, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Happy birthday, Jennifer! Just discovered your blog – so I’m the one who received a gift for your big day. Thanks, and congrats on your 200th post!

Cha Chas last blog post..My feelings can best be expressed in song.

Hatchet November 4, 2008 at 1:22 pm

Congratulations! Happy 40th!

I remember when Reagan won, we got to vote in our classroom. Today, Caitlin gets to do the same.

Cool! (I say “cool” all the time, too.)

Hatchets last blog post..Vote!

Tina November 4, 2008 at 2:08 pm

HAPPY 200th Birthday!! And HAPPY 40th post. Oops. Reverse that. But keep all the HAPPY.

Tinas last blog post..What the heck time is it anyway?

Crazycath November 4, 2008 at 2:15 pm

Hope you have (had?) a great day. Hope the election works out for you too.

Congrats on your 200th post!

Crazycaths last blog post..The Basket Problem

Ann November 4, 2008 at 2:25 pm

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my dear!!! Wow.

Welcome to the club. The 40s ARE the new 20s, after all.

And congrats on your 200th post.

Anns last blog post..My 6th Sense & A Herniated Burrito

Momisodes November 4, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a wonderful day 🙂

Congrats on reaching 200! I couldn’t help mentioning you in today’s post 🙂

Momisodess last blog post..Seven Minutes to Midnight

Ree November 4, 2008 at 4:11 pm

It is indeed a historical day! The biggest election in AGES, your 200th post AND you turn 40?!?

How did all the planets align so well.

Happy Birthday Sweetie!

Rees last blog post..Perfect Post – November

Bruce November 4, 2008 at 4:15 pm

200th blog, 40 birthday….Regan Landslide? …. so many references. It will be Pizza, popcorn and CNN until the wee hours of the morning……(and I don’t expect a close race)

Bruces last blog post..The Flood Gates

Patsy November 4, 2008 at 4:50 pm

Just hopped over from Momisodes to say
Happy Birthday from one that is your senior by almost 20 years. I Hit the big 60 in May.

Enjoy the evening.

Patsys last blog post..Day 4 Heads — About the Crossing Guard

SteveCinNM November 4, 2008 at 5:37 pm

First, Happy Birthday!!

Second, congrats on your 200th post!

Third, you don’t look 40!

Best wishes on your big day.

Kimberly November 4, 2008 at 6:57 pm

Happy birthday! You are one hot 40-year-old!

Kimberlys last blog post..How are you feeling today?

Becky November 4, 2008 at 7:15 pm

Happy Birthday!!!
Potted Frog sent me!

Beckys last blog post..Join Me On The Bandwagon

brenda November 4, 2008 at 8:00 pm

Happy Birthday and Congrats on your 200th post!

brendas last blog post..VOTE!

Franki November 4, 2008 at 10:03 pm

happy b-day! and happy obama day too!

Frankis last blog post..PRESIDENT OBAMA

Sports Mama November 4, 2008 at 10:34 pm

You do realize that at least one of your birthday wishes came true, right? That whole landslide thing….. 🙂

Happy Birthday!!!

Sports Mamas last blog post..Reasons I Love Parenting Boys

Carolyn November 4, 2008 at 10:57 pm

Happy Birthday!!

Sorry I haven’t been around, but I’m stopping by every so often and couldn’t pass up the chance to laugh at your for being older than me. Have a great day, eh!

Carolyns last blog post..i’m still here.

Carolyn November 4, 2008 at 10:59 pm

Aggggggggggh! I hate it when I leave a typo in my comment because I can’t go back and change it. I meant to say I “couldn’t pass up the chance to laugh at YOU for being older than me.”

Hahahaha. I guess I shouldn’t feel too bad about the typo. After all, you’re still older than me!

Carolyns last blog post..i’m still here.

San Diego Momma November 5, 2008 at 12:39 pm

Happy birthday from one who is JUST behind you.

I am honored to be born the same year as you! That bodes well for me.

All the best, and I hope you realize your dreams and visions this year.

And every year after that.

San Diego Mommas last blog post..PROMPTuesday #29: I Was There

Emily R November 5, 2008 at 9:10 pm

Happy 200th!

Emily Rs last blog post..Party pooper

Grandy November 6, 2008 at 1:09 am

Holy Moly! It’s your 200th post…your 40th birthday… AND you got your wish with the landslide!!

You RAWK!!!

Grandys last blog post..Do you see a resemblance?

Boliath November 6, 2008 at 10:42 am

Happy Birthday!

You share a birthday with my son who turned 4 on Nov. 3rd.

Happy Obama Day too!

Boliaths last blog post..Fer fexake people!

Hilary November 6, 2008 at 9:18 pm

Wishing you a VERY Happy Birthday.. and many, many more. 🙂

Hilarys last blog post..Lights, Camera, Action!

JCK November 8, 2008 at 12:27 am

What a memorable birthday you will have! It’s an amazing time. I’m checking out Madge’s post.

JCKs last blog post..And how he took 10 FRIGGIN’ days to call!