The best spot in the house

by Jennifer on November 3, 2008

“I can write some words for you, if you want, Mommy.”

This, an offer from my girl today. I might take her up on it, as the NaNoWriMo deadline draws closer.

The great thing about talking to my kids about this project is that any number of words over one hundred impresses the hell out of them.

“You wrote almost three thousand words?” they asked, eyes wide and voices almost reverent.

And 50,000 (the goal for the month)? To them, might as well be a million.

I’ve thought the same thing, kiddos.

It was a pretty good weekend. (Halloween should always, always fall on a Friday night.) The kids even accommodated some naptime for me this afternoon. (Low word count today, but with the kids back in school tomorrow, I’ll make up for it.)

On Saturday, I won big points by making a blanket tent that survived two whole days. The girl and I hung out under it today for a while – the best spot in the house. Things take on a new level of import when you say them in a blanket tent. World leaders might negotiate more successfully if they met underneath a tent made from one big blanket, two kitchen chairs, the vacuum cleaner, and an ottoman. It’s hard to take yourself too seriously when you’re lying on your back, sharing a sofa cushion for a pillow. Just sayin’.

(How else do you think The Girl got me to agree to a pony, two puppies, a hamster and a trip to Disney World?)*

Sweet times.

*I agreed to none of these. The Girl was completely unaware of her bargaining power. Shhh…

JCK November 3, 2008 at 1:34 am

Sounds like blanket tents have magic powers. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jamie Grove - How Not To Write November 3, 2008 at 4:44 am

I love that first line. How cute!

I have two boys pushing me to finish my book. Just so happens that I’m writing a YA fantasy so I guess that’s not so strange!

Best of luck this year!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Mrs. G. November 3, 2008 at 5:50 am

Who needs therapy when you have a blanket tent?

Mrs. G.s last blog post..Age Difference

Crazycath November 3, 2008 at 6:43 am

Aaah sweet times indeed.

Crazycaths last blog post..Rainbows

Anastasia November 3, 2008 at 8:03 am

I love the idea of a blanket tent…my two boys build their “house” all the time with pillows, blanket and our dining room table (which hasn’t been used for dining in a long long time) but I’m not as good about crawling in their with them.

Thanks for the reminder about how great it is in there!

Anastasias last blog post..Sweet Post Candy

Jenn @ Juggling Life November 3, 2008 at 8:14 am

The power of the blanket tent is amazing.

Jenn @ Juggling Lifes last blog post..Assertiveness Training–Jenn Style

melissa November 3, 2008 at 9:28 am

Even more powerful than the big old cardboard box fort!

Bruce November 3, 2008 at 10:34 am

Lord, this brings back memories and the forgotten wonderment of youth.

I think I need to go home this evening and make a blanket tent…..the prospect sounds absolutely whimsical.

Bruces last blog post..Random Thoughts

Lisa Milton November 3, 2008 at 11:02 am

I have a lot of catching up to do myself, but wasn’t it great having Halloween on the weekend?

Candy and tents.

Best of times.

Sports Mama November 3, 2008 at 11:22 am

I love love love those! Only at my house, since it’s all boys, we don’t have tents so much as we have forts. ๐Ÿ™‚ And they tend to expand to take up at least half of the living room each time we build one!

Sports Mamas last blog post..Reasons I Love Parenting Boys

Mrs. Chili November 3, 2008 at 12:57 pm

I always think it’s funny when my students FREAK about 5-7 pages. My first thought is always “Babies, how can you write ANYTHING less than TEN?!”

Mrs. Chilis last blog post..Monday Meme

Louise November 3, 2008 at 2:31 pm

You are the BOMB MOM! My girls make their own tents. I DID hang tack some fabric all around the insides of a table to make a permanent “clubhouse,” but since it is permanent, it is not nearly as cool as an impromptu tent.

And wouldn’t I love to just lie down under one and chat? (Then fall asleep!)

Louises last blog post..Worldโ€™s Longest Tramโ€“My World

Daryl November 3, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Ah blanket tents .. those were good times

Daryls last blog post..odd shot/monochrome monday

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 November 3, 2008 at 3:28 pm

I love doing blanket tents ๐Ÿ™‚
Good times, good times….

Lisa@verybusymomwith4s last blog post..Music to My Ears

Gwen November 3, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Blanket tents: we call those things forts. And they are also much loved.

So only 49,000 more to go? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Gwens last blog post..This Post is Thousands of Words Long*

Margaret (Nanny Goats) November 3, 2008 at 6:12 pm

I wish I had the time to be as crazy as you and party down for NaNoWriMo. Good luck!

You paint an awesome moment underneath that blanket!

And thank you for stumbling me – you rock!!!

Hatchet November 3, 2008 at 7:18 pm

No, no! A pony, two KITTIES and a puppy. All the rest is negotiable.

BTW, the twins want you to come see their Halloween outfits. You would approve.

Hatchets last blog post..Halloween Wrap Up

jenrantsraves November 3, 2008 at 8:20 pm

I think that might be cheating, but I would totally love to read what she has to say sometime.

the mama bird diaries November 3, 2008 at 9:04 pm

oh, that sounds so sweet. my girls love to build tents and forts out of the livingroom furniture!

the mama bird diariess last blog post..vote.

San Diego Momma November 3, 2008 at 9:54 pm

I think you should write your entire NaNoWriMo novel under that enchanted tent. Of course, you’ll need a flashlight and food (maybe a camper’s stove?), but it can be done!

Meanwhile…GOOD FOR YOU for doing NaNoWriMo. I’m proud of you and just a tinge envious of your motivation and going-for-itness.

San Diego Mommas last blog post..Definitely, Maybe

flutter November 3, 2008 at 11:17 pm

beautiful times, my beautiful friend

flutters last blog post..In love