The best 6 bucks I’ve ever spent

by Jennifer on December 15, 2008

My cousin and her lovely family were with us this weekend, and we had such a great time with them.

On Saturday afternoon, we headed for the Salt River in Tonto National Forest – this spot is about 15 minutes from home. To use the recreation areas, you pay $6 for a parking pass that’s good for 24 hours. Think about it – we couldn’t have bought one movie ticket for that.

I’m not sure we ever really thought we’d keep the kids out of the river, despite the fact that the temperature was just 70 degrees, and who knows how cold the river was. They had their shoes off in under two minutes and were knee-deep a minute later. No wimps here.

There was some of this…

and this…

and this… (pants need 67% more pulling up after you fall into the river, just so you know.)

They ended up soaked, cold, and oh so when-can-we-do-this-again happy.

Mrs. Schmitty December 15, 2008 at 1:44 am

Oh What Fun!

Mrs. Schmittys last blog post..Please Someone, Make Them STOP!

Reluctantfarmchik December 15, 2008 at 6:02 am

Aw – there’s nothing better than water and cousins – seems they’re the best companions EVER. So glad you had a good time. . . thought about you guys over the weekend and was hoping for awesome memories – for you AND the kids. Hope you got her Christmas cards done!

Reluctantfarmchiks last blog post..iPhone Flood – Skywatch

melissa December 15, 2008 at 11:00 am

Outside on a balmy day–that is the best kind of fun! What a view, too.

melissas last blog post..a charming moment

Bruce December 15, 2008 at 11:19 am

Intereting how the older we get, the more we ‘hate’ getting wet and ruining our clothes. We should take a lesson from children now and then.

Bruces last blog post..Meet Mr. Sympathy

Jenn @ Juggling Life December 15, 2008 at 11:28 am

Kids are hardy. I’m with that 70 is not too warm, but I think we’re probably in the minority–I’m reading lots of snow and cold posts today.

Jenn @ Juggling Lifes last blog post..The Party Recap Or How Much Fun Can You Have With Total Strangers?

Coco December 15, 2008 at 12:11 pm

What a lovely day and a lovely post.

Cocos last blog post..The Kiss – A Short Story – Part 1

Daryl December 15, 2008 at 2:10 pm

What a great way to spend the day …

Daryls last blog post..monochrome monday

Mrs. Chili December 15, 2008 at 4:59 pm

This is great. There is something irresistible about water to kids, isn’t there? I don’t have the fortitude for having feet that cold anymore (if I ever did), but I certainly don’t begrudge my kids the experience.

70 degrees. You know I love you, but you kinda suck. You know what’s been happening around here, right?

Franki December 15, 2008 at 7:16 pm

one of my fave things about visiting blogs is all the different weather i get to see. since many are posting icicles and snow, i’d say you totally win.

Frankis last blog post..Picky, when Sober

the mama bird diaries December 15, 2008 at 8:02 pm

Looks so beautiful and so fun and I’m so jealous. 🙂

the mama bird diariess last blog post..summer in december

suzanne December 15, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Your children will remember this day….you can’t buy those kind of happy memories for allthe money in the world. Hope you are finding some time for yourself as well.

suzannes last blog post..I pray

jenrantsraves December 16, 2008 at 6:41 am

What a beautiful place! I would kill for some blue skies right about now. It isn’t the snow, cold, and ice that get to me during the winter – it is the gray skies.

Manic Mommy December 16, 2008 at 10:49 am

Sounds just lovely. Clearly the water wasn’t too cold.

Manic Mommys last blog post..The Kind that Will Even Say "How Do You Do"

San Diego Momma December 16, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Your blog always reminds me that it’s the simple pleasures that matter most.

I continually forget that joy like this can be found in unexpected places so close to home.

Gorgeous sky in those pics!

San Diego Mommas last blog post..Full Circle

Louise December 16, 2008 at 1:37 pm

And don’t forget how DIRTY the bathtub was! That much dirt HAD to be fun!

I think I’ll post about this later this week. Maybe next week. I think this might have been the highlight of the trip. (Or the only half-way decent weather part of the trip!)

Louises last blog post..Snowy Volcanoes–My World

Eva December 16, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Oh, so pretty and so fun!

Ann December 17, 2008 at 9:08 am

What is that stuff? Is that….water? It IS! Almost didn’t even recognize it, here in the desert.

Anns last blog post..Mama Grinch Makes Marzipan

V-Grrrl December 18, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Beautiful.

V-Grrrls last blog post..The Ghost of Christmas Past

Red Flashlight December 21, 2008 at 10:58 am

Oh! What wonderful memories from childhood. These photos are nearly identical to some 1979 shots of me and my sister in the Green (or was it the Yampa) in Dinosaur National Monument. Even the cold weather was the same. We had no idea how much fun we were having! Thanks for sharing. 🙂

Red Flashlights last blog post..Cooking in a Pith