The hell?

by Jennifer on December 26, 2008

Dear Dad,

I’m sorry, but as much as we love your fourth wife and might even wish you’d married her, oh, forty-odd years ago…

…her daughter’s new baby is not my  kids’ “new cousin.”

So after you told them that on the phone yesterday, guess who had some ‘splainin’ to do?*

Toodles,

J

*I let the title stand for now, because it’s a little hard to explain to them. But, seriously? Quit it.

Emily R December 26, 2008 at 9:48 pm

whoops!

Emily Rs last blog post..We’ve been sort of busy

Jenn @ Juggling Life December 26, 2008 at 10:06 pm

Annoying.

Jenn @ Juggling Lifes last blog post..The Wrapping Paper Despot

anymommy December 26, 2008 at 10:18 pm

Ugh. Family is so…fun.

anymommys last blog post..I Believe We Are No Longer Welcome at the Hyatt

flutter December 26, 2008 at 10:26 pm

well, shit.

flutters last blog post..2008 can suck my…

cindy December 26, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Um, no that is not a cousin. A something but not a cousin. How about a nice little baby they might like to meet?

cindys last blog post..Adventures behind the Orange Curtain

Madge December 27, 2008 at 6:41 am

i don’t like family.

Madges last blog post..The Day After

slouching mom December 27, 2008 at 6:48 am

Yep, that’s not right. Definitely… not right.

slouching moms last blog post..He’s got the Christmas spirit.

Mary Alice December 27, 2008 at 6:56 am

I will be the loving voice of descent. Your Dad is excited about the new baby…and he is trying to create family…both for himself, his wife, their children and grandchildren. So often these days family no longer consists of that nuclear tradition, where a man and a woman clove to one another and their children were their children forever. Today we have men and men marrying, women and women, men and women who live together forever and never marry, we have yours mine and ours, we have adopted children…….family is made family in your heart nowadays….. no matter what the DNA ties are.

Mary Alices last blog post..Easy, Breezy, Beautiful………..

Ducky December 27, 2008 at 8:34 am

A kind and beautiful thought, Mary Alice. But he’s married to a woman who, through no fault of her own, is number four. And we are tired, among other things.

tysdaddy December 27, 2008 at 10:23 am

The relatives on my wife’s side of the family are a lot like this. If one of them married a rhinoceros, we’d all be calling it Auntie by breakfast. No questions asked. Perhaps their tolerance is the only reason I’ve been allowed to be around for so long . . .

tysdaddys last blog post..Ice Ice Baby

Andi December 27, 2008 at 11:34 am

Ok, I am laughing my butt off at this post, and also Madge’s comment. None of us like family either, Madge… we just endure them.

I also like Ducky’s comment, and I know exactly what she means. Sometimes it’s just… enough already.

Andis last blog post..True Story

Ree December 27, 2008 at 2:44 pm

Oh boy.

Rees last blog post..Haiku Friday – The Day After

phd in yogurtry December 27, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Oh the joys of blended families and the wife’s, half-brother’s, cousin-in-law’s new baby. And no, I will not be offended when I don’t receive a baby shower invite, birth announcement, or other indicator of an obligatory gift.

phd in yogurtrys last blog post..capitol lights and luminaria nights

fancy feet December 27, 2008 at 5:45 pm

Oh family. Sometimes they don’t know when enough is just enough.

fancy feets last blog post.."I am confident in…"

V-Grrrl December 27, 2008 at 7:05 pm

crap….

four wives?

Four?

Yeah, I’d be all done explaining and trying to tie the family together too….

V-Grrrls last blog post..There Comes the Strangest Moment

Suzanne December 27, 2008 at 8:10 pm

Four? At first I was inclined to agree with Mary Alice, then I read Ducky’s comment and understood her perspective. Now, I’m just thinking this is more fodder for the book you’re going to write someday to chronicle all this fun. And keep the title, I like it!

Suzannes last blog post..Work In Progress

apathy lounge December 27, 2008 at 9:32 pm

I’m with you on this one. It’s best left alone until someone actually asks for more details about the new baby. Little kids can’t really handle too much information.

apathy lounges last blog post..It was great, but I’m glad it’s over

jenrantsraves December 28, 2008 at 6:39 am

As someone with a ridiculously small family, I sometimes wish I had these problems. Sometimes. I get over it. ; )

JCK December 28, 2008 at 1:08 pm

Sounds…just …delightful. Not.

JCKs last blog post..My greatest wish is for them to be friends when they are grown

Manic Mommy December 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm

I struggled for a long time about how to explain to my boys my lack of relationship with my father . Then he died and it got a lot easier.

Manic Mommys last blog post..God Bless Us. Every One.

Franki December 28, 2008 at 4:13 pm

when my kids talk refer to my ex’s new wife’s parents as grandparents, it makes me crazy cuz they are awful people, but i keep my mouth shut bc i know their step-mother is forcing them to use those terms and frankly, life is hard enough for them around her. i don’t want to make them feel worse, you know?

Frankis last blog post..Quirky-son Ages, as Do I

Lisa@verybusymomwith4 December 28, 2008 at 8:38 pm

Oh man. Me, the tactful one who always finds a way to explain something, is speechless.

Lisa@verybusymomwith4s last blog post..The Irony of Christmas

Louise December 30, 2008 at 8:59 am

When I saw this on FB, I didn’t realize it was a post. (Still having computer problems, but that should be mostly fixed by tomorrow–assuming everything works as it should after it’s all hooked up.) So I’ll say it here, too. It should be up to YOU what relationships are, not anyone else.

Louises last blog post..I’m Down

Daryl December 30, 2008 at 9:18 am

I get everyone’s point, especially your’s and Ducky’s .. but …I just edited myself/deleted and decided its wiser to just say hi

Daryls last blog post..toonsday husbandisms

Coco December 30, 2008 at 1:51 pm