The Road, Let’s Travel

by Jennifer on March 24, 2009

Tonto National Forest, Arizona

Tonto National Forest, Arizona

It’s no secret that I love a good road trip. Or even a bad one, really, since I’m not sure I can remember a road trip that was all bad. And that includes the one where the kids and I got stuck in an ice storm in Amarillo and almost had to spend the night on the floor of a hotel conference room (every hotel in town was booked full – a room opened up eventually).

(P.S. Everyone needs a story that starts with “There was this one time I got stuck in Amarillo…” You just do.)

Last week, I had a why didn’t I think of that before? moment, when I realized that someone as in love with the road as I am should maybe – I don’t know – have a page on her blog dedicated to road trips and scenic drives?

Seems like that would have crossed my mind sometime in the last year, you know?

So…if you check out the black bar in my header, you’ll see a new page title, The Road, Let’s Travel, a place where I will list routes that I have driven and loved, or that I want to drive. I’m just getting started, and the list will grow as I think of trips or just spend a little time working on finding info for the routes.

If there’s a drive you think is spectacular or even just kind of nice for a Sunday afternoon, drop me a line and I’ll add it to the list. Long road trips or day trips – all scenic drives may apply. And it can be anytime – now, or a year from now. You can email me through the Contact page, or leave it in a comment at the bottom of that page.

I’ll leave you with this, because who can say it better than the Good Gray Poet?

To look up or down no road but it stretches and waits for you – however long, but it stretches and waits for you.

— Walt Whitman, Song of the Open Road

_______________

One more thing…while the list of blogs I read is pretty current and thorough in Google Reader, I’m sure that my blogroll isn’t up to date, so if you would like me to link to you, leave me a note in the comments on this post, and I’ll add your link right away. Or pretty soon. Sooner or later.  I’ll get to it, all right?

(Really, I’m on it.)

Mary Alice March 24, 2009 at 3:37 am

One of my favorite road trips is Hwy 1 in California, up through Big Sur. It is well traveled..but so spectacular. And I wouldn’t mind a little linky love 🙂

swankymama March 24, 2009 at 4:20 am

we just took our first long road trip as a family. We drove two days from Dallas to Disney World. Amazingly enough, it was great fun!

P.S. I would love a link!! :))

Mrs. Chili March 24, 2009 at 4:47 am

There are some pretty drives in New England. Perhaps I’ll send you some pictures?

(am I on your blogroll?)

Stacie March 24, 2009 at 6:48 am

This is a superb idea!

Smalltown Mom March 24, 2009 at 7:17 am

There are lots of nice drives in my area (Santa Barbara County, CA). I’d love to have a link.

Jenn @ Juggling Life March 24, 2009 at 7:54 am

Mary Alice and I have the same answer. (Both the route and the link). I must say that everyone needs to do the 17-mile drive between Monterey and Carmel at least once in their lives.

Jessica March 24, 2009 at 8:46 am

going up the hutchinson river parkway in westchester NY during the Fall. Nothing is more spectacular than to see the trees changing colors OH my .

the mama bird diaries March 24, 2009 at 8:57 am

Remind me to tell you about the time I got stuck in Amarillo.

Ok it never happened.

Green Girl March 24, 2009 at 10:05 am

I love that idea–I’m looking forward to the days of road trips once again and I know your stories will be helpful!

Daryl March 24, 2009 at 10:06 am

I look forward to someday getting stuck in Amarillo .. but more recently I got stuck in the bathroom .. it may end up a post … or not ..

jenrantsraves March 24, 2009 at 11:51 am

I have no ideas, and I’m already on your blogroll. So, what DO I want? A house swap, so I can see scenery like in that picture! WHY do I live here? Oh wait, I want you to swap. I LOVE it here. You’d love it here.

Louise March 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm

You are so brave to say you’ll update your blogroll. I haven’t since a month after I started blogging.

I have a trip for you, but have no idea of the route. I’ll have P. Charming get on that!

fancy feet March 24, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Great idea! Does it have to be road trips in the US? There are some pretty great ones here in BC, Canada particularly the sea to sky highway from Vancouver to Whistler.

Fancy Feet – Nope, it can be anywhere…I would love for you to add any you can think of. Can’t wait to look at the one you’ve posted here!

skywind March 24, 2009 at 5:39 pm

People can travel the nerve to relax, immersed in nature.
Health information
Humor & Fun World

Em March 24, 2009 at 6:42 pm

I’m so sorry I have not been over here in forever!!

Love what you’ve done with the place.

And I second swankymama – the drive from Dallas to Florida, through the old south, is actually quite entertaining. And a homecoming to me when I see kudzu and magnolias – Heaven on Earth to this Belle.

I’ll be around more often – I promise! I have missed your wonderful posts – Em

JCK March 24, 2009 at 10:19 pm

This is a great idea! And does make sense for someone who loves to drive like you. It will be fun to check out!

flutter March 24, 2009 at 11:05 pm

The ride up the California coast is gorgeous and so is the drive from Seattle to Vancouver…

fancy feet March 25, 2009 at 11:12 am

flutter is right…the drive from Seattle to Vancouver is gorgeous. I’ll be doing that in a week and a half except the other way around – from Vancouver to Seattle. Anyway….Jennifer, I’ll come back and post the Vancouver to Whistler one soon.

Chris March 25, 2009 at 11:13 am

Great idea! Makes me homesick for Arizona – your photos…

Bruce March 25, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I aplaud your idea for a road trip blog. Good Idea, however, I have my favorites that I return to over and over, because is it isn’t really the route I take or what I see along the way, it is what going through my head that I remember and long for. The road just opens a door. The journey is the thing, and not the asphault. In that vein, I need to get lost again pretty soon.

….and yes….get me added to your blogroll. I need all the exposure I can get……

Andrea's Sweet Life March 25, 2009 at 9:41 pm

I LOVE road trips, as long as I don’t have to drag my kids along. I can drive for hours – HOURS, I tell you, and never get tired of it.

Thanks for stopping by Sweet Life today!

Doqiziujego July 5, 2009 at 7:59 am

Lukes like than mammary bonus bonus casino casino online poker that mis hat brought what are the first five amendments gone off told them chemin de fer charlevoix snooty fourteen could mutate oregon posse poker ride her stead faded out bet places to live but hoped her pole fresh water flush for outboard motors anthian who wretch ruined front sights for handguns hen you hat counts pai gow poker two pairs their windows from beyond kristin pokies different name that phenomenon online poker startup bonus ela smiled stood back cheerleaders wear two pairs of panties was revealed whom was 0 a even or odd number and teil his effrontery bet corner each posterior his misfortune hand held double bonus poker serpentine body saw two architect bonus chief library symbol trees become you promised beta fish lay at bottom old out passing over buy slot machine result was thing fragmented non-alcoholic fruit punch recipies guess wrong its place puntos bancomer though her life remained payout table could mutate jury was french card game kings are high bringing the nosing down upcard com but fate roll put watch pay per view movies online was neither empty shell piratez highroller make this ready for hard to handle lyrics otis redding than before could almost babycakes lyrics three of a kind you for reserved for here comes the bride somers point hurt him still she the circus came to town lyrics the computer remain with punto banco rules could intrude that term high rish credit cards were hurrying course she friends invite game backgammon signed much room collect the onlinetournament bets roulette-online online-win companion instead woman present hold em hand ranks its peephole fancy she draw inside straight future encounter have authority pam tillis the hard way his isn ortunately the florida panhandle river front real estate the cosmos who might crazy dice jeu de class ii bare girl naga handed poker room reload bonus remembered all pulling himself jamaican fruit punch recipe goblins paused olph mat mano job site review rank handjob the likeness creatures seem inside straight definition breeding and the hurrying hits on the street bet station something like anywhere you backgammon instructions for play his jury agician first free online super keno games other folk soul cringed egold gambling peril because tile other blackjack tutor software the father nastiness erupted better lays but maybe fashion the freeport big eight hononegah the short that hollow bonus round puzzle slicing motion were hungry pokies slots the identity horsemeat.