Fever all through the night

by Jennifer on April 6, 2009

If our weekend was a new baseball stadium…I’d have to call it Motrin Field.

Late Friday morning, the school nurse called to let me know that the Girl was in her office, complaining of a headache and stomach ache. And she had a fever. (My sweet baby has a long and storied history with the nurse’s office, so a fever got my attention more than the other symptoms would have on their own.)

I brought her home, tucked her under a blanket, gave her some Motrin, and complied with all one thousand requests for snuggling.

Loop all of that and hit play, and you’ve got a good picture of the last couple of days. Poor girl.

It’s pretty much my fault, though, since last week I thought, “Hey, we made it all winter without the kids really coming down with anything.” Seriously, it’s like I opened the door, invited the damn virus inside and gave it tea and cookies.

She rallied late in the day on Saturday, so I felt okay about leaving when her dad offered to stay with her if I wanted to play some poker. (Okay, so I felt a little guilty leaving her, but knew he would take care of her as well as I would. And if she had asked me to stay, I would have. But when I left, she was in charge of the the remote control, so I knew she’d be all right.)

It’s been a few months since my last poker session, so I wouldn’t have been surprised if I’d forgotten everything I know. But I made the final table (finishing 8th), and made some cash.

Which will come in handy to replenish our supply of Children’s Motrin.

Unless I can get that corporate sponsorship after all.

P.S. The fever returned late that night and stuck around yesterday, so the Girl will stay home from school today.

P.P.S. I received no compensation for mentioning Motrin. Unfortunately. But whoever makes Motrin? Call me. Will consider offers for sponsorship of present and future bouts of illness. (Also? Liquor companies are welcome to apply.)

P.P.P.S I’m sure this headache I have is completely unrelated to the bug that the Girl has.

P.P.P.S. Hell.

Madge April 6, 2009 at 5:31 am

oh goodie. maybe we could get the liquor companies to sponsor both of us….

Reluctantfarmchik April 6, 2009 at 6:25 am

I’m laughing at you, but only from behind a big shield of pity and empathy. Drink a gallon of distilled water – it has greater capacity to remove toxins from your body. (Don’t do this every day – only when you feel like you’re getting sick).

Mrs. Chili April 6, 2009 at 7:02 am

I’ve been FURIOUSLY knocking wood chanting incantations and downing vitamins and being grateful we got the flu shots in the fall. So far, the worst we’ve had is a case of the sniffles, but I’m not taking any chances with the tummy-yucky that seems to be making the rounds in New England…

Mrs. Schmitty April 6, 2009 at 7:04 am

Hope she’s better soon!

jessica April 6, 2009 at 7:44 am

All you had to do was knock wood after. Works for me everytime, knock wood.

Lisa Milton April 6, 2009 at 8:58 am

Poor baby. That’s no good for anyone. Hope it passes quickly.

Daryl April 6, 2009 at 9:19 am

Feel better soon, Jennifer … and I bet you can get control of the remote now ..

the mama bird diaries April 6, 2009 at 9:29 am

Hope everyone feels better around there. Motrin. Motrin. Motrin. Motrin. Motrin. Just trying to help.

Chris April 6, 2009 at 10:27 am

I didn’t know you played poker! Very cool. Next time I’m in Phoenix, you’ll have to schedule a poker game so I can be your drink-refresher-girl. I’m good at that! I’ll cheer when appropriate too. I might be able to do the splits if necessary.

Hope the virus leaves your home soon. Sucks being sick.

Kimberly April 6, 2009 at 10:44 am

Oh yuck. I hope you all feel better soon.

Hilary April 6, 2009 at 12:28 pm

Unh oh. I hope you feel better soon.

Margaret (Nanny Goats) April 6, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Awwwwww, poor girl. Since when do fevers RETURN after leaving? Or did it just step out to pee or something?

Send her a GET WELL SOON from Nanny Goats!

Peggy April 6, 2009 at 3:33 pm

I love all your ps’s…you’re so funny!

If the alcohol companies come a knockin” call me *holding hand up to ear in that queer call me gesture*

Byrningbunny April 6, 2009 at 4:25 pm

I had to chuckle when you said it was your fault — I felt the same way when the boys got RSV and had to be hospitalized. I’m the one who said out loud, we’ve almost made it through the winter with no serious illness! How silly of me . . . and you! 🙂

I hope she’s doing better. It’s miserable to see them sick and not be able to alleviate it. Well, except for those wonderful snuggles; the kind that they actually stop squirming long enough for you to enjoy as well.

Good luck with the calls from Motrin and the liquor companies. 🙂

Mrs. G. April 6, 2009 at 5:39 pm

I hope everyone feels better soon!

Heather April 6, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Wow you have escaped illness this long? That is amazing. It must be all at my house.

Ree April 6, 2009 at 6:41 pm

Poor Girl. (And poor Mom and Dad, too)

When you get that liquor sponsorship, let me know if you need a fellow reviewer.

david mcmahon April 6, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Hope she’s better now……

AmyAnne April 6, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Everyone is puking around us. EVERYONE. I’m about to quarantine us from THEM. Stop puking and PLEASE, for the love of everything smelling good and me being able to get to the gym, leave us out of it!

JCK April 6, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Poor little Girl. I hope she is feeling much better now. Nothing like snuggles with Mommy & Daddy to help feel better.

Glad you got out to play poker!! Hope your headache was just from all the strain at playing so damn fine!

flutter April 6, 2009 at 11:09 pm

aw, shit.

V-Grrrl April 7, 2009 at 4:48 am

I hate seeing my kids sick but at least they recover from most illnesses fairly quickly. I live in terror of viruses because I don’t recover quickly. Stuff just seems to linger forever…

Hope all are heading toward wellness at your place.

Dharmamama April 7, 2009 at 9:11 am

The *same thing* happened here! It was so warm and grand this past weekend, and I told my sister – out loud – I was SO glad we had made it through this winter mostly well. Yesterday? Seth: “My throat really hurts!” and he was burning up with fever. Still sick today. But I am well. I am well. I am well… oh, well.

anymommy April 7, 2009 at 1:48 pm

I’m doing the ‘warding off mommy getting sick’ dance for you. Hope she feels better.

Hatchet April 7, 2009 at 8:03 pm

I’m sorry to hear your girl is sick! Tell her Caitlin says, “Cough! Cough! Cough! Can we go to the park? Cough!”

Yah, mine is a little sick, too, but apparently the doctor’s think we just have to wait for the cough to go away. May you and yours heal quickly!

BTW, the twins wanted you to know they posted some pictures with you in mind. : )

Gwen April 8, 2009 at 1:22 pm

Oh dear. How are you all feeling now? (asked the mother who was up for 3 hours with her own hacking sickling last night)

Louise April 18, 2009 at 1:13 pm

All is not lost if you have managed to replenish the Motrin–the mood-altering drug (for children AND adults). That stuff is expensive!