The long-ish goodbye, Part I

by Jennifer on May 14, 2009

Now that we’re packing up, I’ve started thinking about the things I will miss the most when we go to Indiana. Really, this is maybe the best time of year to move. When it’s so bloody hot (100 yesterday, and again today) that you can’t bear the idea of wearing clothes and any place cold sounds like heaven, so you start sending away for brochures to ski resorts. And brochures for nudist colonies at ski resorts.

Still, despite my good riddance attitude about the heat right now, I know I will miss things.

Of course, you can assume the obvious ones, like good friends and cowboys and mountain roads and cowboys and cowboys and sweet jaysus the cowboys. So I think I’ll post others as they come to mind. Today, there were three:

The Southwest pasta salad from the deli at a local grocery store

and

The free childcare-while-you-shop at the same grocery store

Yes, you read that right. And not only is it free (and very safe), but I swear I’ve saved a ton of money by not having to deal with the “Mommy can we get this? Whynotwhynotwhy-y-y-not” requests, followed too often by Fine, get the Gogurt/Pringles/popsicles but so help me god this is the last thing I will ever buy for you.

Of those two, I’ll leave it to you to guess which one I might miss more.

And then there are these, which amuse me every time I notice them.

click to enlarge

jenrantsraves May 14, 2009 at 4:48 am

One of the two nearby grocery stores near me has the free childcare. Unfortunately, they also have ridiculously long lines that make me start computing how much time in my life I will waste grocery shopping.

slouching mom May 14, 2009 at 5:04 am

Free childcare at the grocery store?

Damn.

I could have used that back in the day. Now, it doesn’t matter so much anymore. The kids are older and generally helpful in the grocery store. Or at least quiet, because they’re as eager to be done with it as I am.

Gypsy May 14, 2009 at 5:57 am

When I moved from Arizona, I was surprised to miss that big open night sky.

De May 14, 2009 at 6:10 am

Don’t despair: some stores here (which is not Indiana, but as an example) have free “kid’s clubs.”

But what I really wanted to say is WOW. I want one of those “trees.” They tickle me, too.

Daryl May 14, 2009 at 6:43 am

Well they have to put them somewhere and high up .. since I am betting there are no tall buildings in your ‘hood’ this is what gets you connected…

Green Girl in Wisconsin May 14, 2009 at 7:23 am

I never saw such a fabulous cell phone tower in Wisconsin. But we do have grocery stores with child play areas–it’s off my beaten path, however, so I’ve never gone. I hear it’s pretty great.
Maybe you’ll luck out and find a few cowboys in Indiana!

Chris May 14, 2009 at 7:35 am

There will be different salads and cool childcare options, I’m sure. Palm tees? Nope.

I’ll be in Scottsdale the first week of July. If you’re still there, maybe coffee? or beer?

Thumbelina May 14, 2009 at 8:18 am

What ARE those things? Are they radio masts? Stylish ones if they are.

I would miss that free childcare too. The trustworthy childcare. Boy that must have saved you $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
And only in a month too! Imagine how much you have saved over the year…

Jennifer Harvey May 14, 2009 at 8:22 am

I’m delighted to hear that other grocery store chains across the country have kids’ clubs. Had no idea! If we weren’t moving to tiny Syracuse, Indiana, I’d be even happier to hear it.

The bad news is that even a store like Walmart is 20 minutes away. (And that’s also the good news.) Target’s farther than that. How I shall suffer. 🙂

we_be_toys May 14, 2009 at 9:07 am

That cell tower is hilarious! That’s for real?

I’m betting there’s no Amish markets in Phoenix, with homemade deliciousness in abundance. You’re bound to miss things, after being there for awhile, but Indiana countryside, near a river, sounds much nicer, to this ole polar bear, anyway.

As for the cowboys? Take a lot of pictures now, for future fantasizing!

So, are there really ski trips for nudists? Other than the whole nekkid thing, it sounds really, really chilly, which sounds really, really nice. (Again, from the polar bear point of view)

tysdaddy May 14, 2009 at 10:06 am

Child care? Whilst shopping?! I’m moving there . . .

If you need any help getting settled once you get here, don’t hesitate to let me know. You’re less than a CD away . . .

Suzanne May 14, 2009 at 10:38 am

Do you know what? I can’t wait to read about the journey that unfolds when you put down roots in your new home.

But I also know what you mean about tucking away the memories of this place first, it’s amazing how it changes your perspective and makes you look abit wistfully at some things…..

Manic Mommy May 14, 2009 at 10:44 am

I’d like to revisit this discussion next January, please. Is this where I say “but it’s a dry heat”?

Indigo May 14, 2009 at 10:48 am

I miss the Palm trees from Fla. But I gotta tell…come Christmas time you will wonder whatever made anyone think Christmas lights in a a Palm Tree was even close to celebrating it in the snow. (Hugs)Indigo

ByJane May 14, 2009 at 11:12 am

What are those things hanging from the tree? Giant pods? Cell phone receivers? Government listening devices????

Jennifer Harvey May 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm

Jane – Cell phone tower, but now I’m thinking maybe a government listening device. 😉

Christy May 14, 2009 at 6:54 pm

Wait a minute…there are grocery stores that have child care so you can shop in peace? CLEARLY I have been living in the wrong places! And that cellphone tower? I’m impressed. Happy packing!

the mama bird diaries May 14, 2009 at 7:25 pm

is that a cell phone tower?

Jennifer Harvey May 14, 2009 at 8:09 pm

Kelcey – sure is.

flutter May 14, 2009 at 10:13 pm

those cell phone towers crack my ass up.

JCK May 15, 2009 at 11:08 pm

It must feel good to finally be packing. And knowing that there is a plan.

We need those cell phone towers here!

anymommy May 16, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I thought it was a palm tree! I long for heat like that right now, grass is always greener, or drier, or something like that. Goodbyes are hard, hang onto those fireflies.

fancy feet May 17, 2009 at 1:25 pm

Ummm…free child care while you shop?? No way. What a genius idea!

Hope your move goes well. 🙂

Jenn @ Juggling Life May 17, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Ah, yes. The oh-so-realistic Palm tree cell phone tower.

Rhea May 19, 2009 at 7:52 pm

free childcare while you shop?! That’s wild.

Bruce May 20, 2009 at 5:04 pm

I am certain you will find a lot of quirkiness in Indiana as well. However, you will be trading in your oven mitts as driving gloves for little things called Tornados.

Elisa May 29, 2009 at 4:13 am

Oh yes – the poles masquerading as trees are ridiculous, we have them here too! Of course in NY they’re not palm trees, ’cause that woulnd’t be very believable. (I know what you are thinking: and THIS is??) 😀

Louise June 20, 2009 at 5:02 pm

I’ll miss that deli salad on your behalf! Maybe I should have PC see if they have it here.