My (dream) room

by Jennifer on May 26, 2009

This post, pure indulgence. (We’ll get back to saving the world tomorrow, or looking for cowboys. Either way.)

In Indiana, after we take care of more pressing things (depends on who you ask, I say) – like interior doors, a stove (optional, if you ask me), dishwasher (not negotiable), bathroom tile, and the rest of the flooring – I’ll get to work on the room I’ve claimed for myself. When it’s finished, however long that takes, it will be part office, part refuge. Part cloak of invisibility, if I can work out a few more details in the technology. Or just install a deadbolt.

The basics first, of course. Desk, office chair, computer, printer, files. Ample stock of paper clips and Pentel Rolling Writer pens, black, medium. Then, the rest.

I’ve thought a lot about how I would want it to look, and what I’d want in the room, from simple things to never-gonna-happen. It can’t hurt to aim high and then figure out how to do it on a budget, right? I figure there’s a lot of HGTV and DIY Network in my future. All that said, here’s my wish list:

For soul: many, many bookshelves

For wall colors: deep red and turquoise

For texture: leather, wood, silver, some mercury glass

For comfort: a window seat and a comfortable chair (Love this leather chaise…have no idea how to buy it or a price. It’s a dream piece, for sure)

To sip: coffee or Penfold’s Shiraz Cabernet

For mood: music, windows with a nice view

Little things that make me happy: a cup full of sharpened pencils, and an endless supply of fireballs

If I could add a one more thing to this list, it would be a fireplace, but my room is on the top floor, and that’s probably not an option, at least not anytime soon.

But a deadbolt? So is.

(click to enlarge)

1. Sitting room bookcase, 2. Knock knock, 3. Turquoise Beads, 4. Coffee for all.., 5. turntable, 6. There is again window…, 7. Chaise, 8. HB, 9. Window seat, 10. Mercury Glass, 11. Fireballs, 12. Penfold’s Koonunga Hill 2007 Shiraz Cabernet

If you could have a room just for yourself, how would it look? What would you want in that room, for it to feel comfortable, perfect, sigh-worthy…and look like it was an extension of you? I would love to see what you would want in your perfect room, so if you decide to make your own mosaic, here’s what to do:

1. Surf over to Flickr or Photobucket (set up an account if you don’t have one – it’s quick and easy) and type what you’re looking for (one at a time) into the search bar.

2. From the choice of pictures shown, click on the one that moves you.

3. Once the page with your picture opens, copy the URL.

4. Surf over to the Mosaic Maker, set up your mosaic, and paste your URLs.

5. Click “Create!” When your mosaic appears, right click it to save to your computer, then you can upload it to your blog as you would any image. If you do create one and post it, let me know here in a comment and I’ll add a link to your post.

_________________________

Your dream rooms:

Elisa at An Unlikely Housewife – go see what she has in mind for her room in Zurich.  (Yes, Zurich. I’m envious, too…) Her ideas and her mosaic are lovely.

Smalltown Mom May 26, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I love your room. I’ll have to work on mine….it would include floor to ceiling bookcases so I never have to get rid of another book.

Jenn @ Juggling Life May 26, 2009 at 9:25 pm

Yours looks fantastic. I will have to give this some thought.

JCK May 26, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Jennifer, this is one of the things I remember most about your move it Indiana. That special room at the top of the house. Can’t wait to hear/see what you come up with and create there! How exciting!

De May 27, 2009 at 4:51 am

Oooh. Really nice.

This is handy, too – I’ve been struggling with a few rooms in our house (decorating is NOT my forte), and I’m not doing great at gathering my ideas into a notebook as I’ve seen suggested. Online – now that’s convenient!

Off to play. (Right now, my room is a repository for piles of paperwork and craft supplies. Not a pretty sight.) Thanks for the inspiration.

Manic Mommy May 27, 2009 at 4:51 am

I smelled pencil shavings when I read this. Divine. How wise to build your own refuge.

Madge May 27, 2009 at 5:00 am

you forgot a picture of me sitting in the corner with a glass of wine on one of my many visits… yes i am funny.

apathy lounge May 27, 2009 at 7:25 am

Replace the Fireballs with something else and I believe you’re channeling my perfect room. Really!

Green Girl in Wisconsin May 27, 2009 at 8:25 am

Oh, I SUPPOSE I could relax and linger in a room like this.
I’m a sucker for stone walls…

fancy feet May 27, 2009 at 9:46 am

I’ve always wanted a cloak of invisibility…wine and coffee to go along with it. This all sounds so perfect.

ByJane May 27, 2009 at 11:41 am

oh god, I don’t have to create my own room; can I just come and live in yours!!!!

we_be_toys May 27, 2009 at 1:20 pm

What a cool tool – I predict interior decorators everywhere will want to use this. I love your plan for your room – I’m hoping it doesn’t take too long to come true, so you can post pictures of your Room Come True!

jenrantsraves May 28, 2009 at 5:18 am

I would have never thought to use red and turquoise, but seeing the colors together, I think that will be gorgeous! Can’t wait to see the pictures! I would love to do the mosaic thing, but don’t have time this week as I’m packing for vacation. Sorry – we never play along with your ideas, do we? How annoying.

Elisa May 28, 2009 at 7:03 pm

Jennifer, what a gorgeous post and collage!!

I have posted one too, it’s here: http://theunlikelyhousewife.com/2009/05/a-room-of-my-own/

Thank you for the inspiration, this type of thing always puts me in a good mood 🙂

Tara Wermuth May 28, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Sounds perfect! You will have to post pictures when you are all settled in. As for me, m room, and my cloak of invisibility I’ll keep dreaming…..

Jessica May 29, 2009 at 9:40 am

I love all the deep rich colors. Dark leather, I love the turquoise and the deep red. Sounds gorgeous. Can’t wait to see the pics of the final product

Indigo May 29, 2009 at 11:05 am

Sounds like the perfect writing environment dear friend. A place your soul can be free to flow onto the page before you. Visually stimulating and relaxing! (Hugs)Indigo

Suzanne May 29, 2009 at 11:21 am

I love this idea and especially your description of the room, I can soooo see you in there. And I can’t wait to see the finished product or to read what you produce there. I’m going to try the mosaic maker as well, it seems like a terrific amount of fun.

Coco May 29, 2009 at 1:34 pm

OK, I want:

A cool, quirky attic room or loft or some kind of turret.

With deep red walls or possibly deep orange

Rough-hewn wood floors and good old rugs that never wear out, they just fade a little every 30 years or so.

A fireplace that burns real wood although I will settle for a stove and a tidy little pile of hardwood and kindling.

Built in bookcases on every wall

A large romatic window looking out at some kind of mountainous vista preferably with a window seat.

A cozy oversized leather sofa draped with soft blankets

A large old wood desk and a comfy office chair along with a whiz-bang laptop

A heavy wood door with an old lock and a skeleton key

And a little wine rack and a little fridge. For medicinal and snack purposes.

phd in yogurtry May 29, 2009 at 8:52 pm

My home office has gorgeous moss-putty-green colored walls and chocolate brown stained concrete. I LOVE it. Also, beautiful maple wood built in shelves and cabinets. When we built this house (we = husband) we put in a temporary laminated table top to serve as computer desk (y’know the kind you keep in your garage for when a large party comes for dinner? that one). Hubby was going to build the desk of my design. Nine years later? Laminated table still there. Wah. Forgive me if my enthusiasm for dream space is waning.

nicole h May 31, 2009 at 8:19 am

A room of one’s own. And absolutely with a deadbolt. I don’t care if it’s 5′-5′ with no view, one day I will have one (again). When I gave up my own apartment last year to move in with my SO, I knew I would miss ‘my space’, but it was time to leave that place (no regrets about that apt.). Now I write in the living space of ‘our apartment’. He on his computer and me on mine. Intimate. I do dream of an office, but I don’t want to see it just yet. I think I’ll keep it vague for a while and admire yours. I agree that a view is a must and the book shelves absolutely. The colors you chose are so appealing. I had a red wall in the last place with green silk hanging, but the turquoise really makes my eyes happy.

Louise June 20, 2009 at 5:16 pm

With the Starbuck’s so far away, you’ll definitely have to turn to wine!