Snow, man

by Jennifer on February 9, 2010

This time last year, when I still lived in Arizona, I went for a drive one morning and took these photos:

(all images, click to enlarge)

Whenever it would snow in the mountains to the north of Phoenix, I would scout the house for whatever coats and gloves I could find – usually, the gloves were outgrown or even mismatched, because who needs gloves in the desert? – and I’d load the kids in the car. We’d drive up the Beeline Highway toward Payson until we  got to the  snow, then I’d pull off the road (like so many others were doing) and let the kids play in it. City folk, huh?

On the day that I took the photos above, the outlying mountains looked like this:

Yeah, now? We just look out the back door or walk out on the front porch. In fact, one of the things the kids were most excited about this winter was the snow, and I assured them over and over that they would definitely get to play in the snow this year.

My apologies to everyone in the Mid-Atlantic region. This is totally my fault.

28 inches, yall, and it was still snowing...28 inches, y’all, and it was still snowing…

And we’re supposed to get another 10-20 inches today and tomorrow. Okay, winter you bastard, I’m waving the (snowy) white flag.

UPDATE: The county just canceled school for the rest of the week (add that to yesterday and today’s school closing). Don’t even try to pretend you’re not laughing at me.

Brandt! February 9, 2010 at 10:56 am

BEAUTIFUL PICTURES!!

Slow Panic February 9, 2010 at 12:54 pm

it’s just freaking insane.

Mrs. Chili February 9, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Oh, I am SO NOT laughing at you. This shit is no laughing matter. I do have to say, though, that you’d probably be best to try to get used to it. Welcome to New England, my love, where the weather sucks far more often than it doesn’t…

flutter February 9, 2010 at 5:36 pm

it’s gorgeous, really

jenrantsraves February 9, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I would laugh, but we got 24 inches Saturday, and we are getting 8-10 more tonight. School has been cancelled, my parents were camped out on my couch because they lost power, etc, etc. I’m going to move to Florida now.

Shania February 9, 2010 at 6:16 pm

I know, right?? Silas goes to private where we usually still have it even if the county cancels since we don’t have to use busses. Even they’ve cancelled all week. With the house fire, we’re still in the hotel and I’m frightened. Send help. And legos.

Jenn @ Juggling Life February 9, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I think your first year in it is probably pretty fun–after that? I’m not so sure. Then again, I’m a total SoCal weather wimp!

suburbancorrespondent February 9, 2010 at 9:49 pm

It’s an unusual year, as far as snow goes. Enjoy it while you can!

Margaret (Nanny Goats) February 10, 2010 at 12:43 am

Holy cow, thassalotta snow! In Sacramento, we never get snow.

Also? I was in Arizona for the first time in my life this past weekend. Tucson to be exact. Oro Valley to be more exact.

Chris February 10, 2010 at 7:21 am

I remember those photos from Arizona that you posted last year! Makes me homesick… Such a beautiful time of year there right now.

I can’t believe the amount of snow you all are getting. It’s making for some pretty pictures, and LOTS of cabin fever with the kiddos. Hang in there!

phd in yogurtry February 10, 2010 at 8:00 am

The one thing about living in Texas and being a mom here — snow days are forever associated with glee. If I had many snow days as a mom, the glee would be replaced with dread – muddy floors, lost mitten hysteria, etc.

You take some gorgeous pictures, by the way. Stunning!

Green Girl in Wisconsin February 10, 2010 at 9:28 am

It’s pretty, it’ll blanket EVERYTHING and it’ll SHUT YOU DOWN! But think, you’re living HISTORY!

the mama bird diaries February 10, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Girl, I told you not to leave Arizona.

texasholly @ June Cleaver Nirvana February 10, 2010 at 9:12 pm

karma.

Jane Gassner February 11, 2010 at 5:25 pm

It’s a f*cking winter wonderland…

jessica February 11, 2010 at 5:54 pm

I was just telling my mother your story about your promise to your kid re: snow. Had a good laugh.

6512 and growing February 11, 2010 at 8:35 pm

Your photos are gorgeous.

I love winter and snow and I can say that without wincing because it’s February and spring is a-coming! Also, because we have a Sonoran desert trip planned for early March. I’ll need some good recommendations of how to keep young ‘uns entertained down in southern Arizona.

Ree February 12, 2010 at 5:41 pm

uh huh. That’s what you get. 😉

Suzanne February 12, 2010 at 10:45 pm

It’s even snowing in Florida……guess where it’s NOT snowing? Right here in Evergreen, Colorado…..where I am, the girl from Florida who moved here to be near snow….fuck.

tysdaddy February 13, 2010 at 11:22 am

I haven’t seen that much snow since my days in NoDak. You know? The kind of snow that just keeps piling up and making things bigger and bigger vanish before your very eyes.

Some days, I miss that . . .